Special Duty Allowance

One my Client who is a Central Govt. Class-1 Employee from New Delhi working at North East Region from the F.Y. 2008-09, whose Special Duty Allowances for last 2 years were calculated as Taxable Income, which is Non-Taxable as per IT Rules. He has filed his personal Return as per Form No.16. But now he wants to claim the same for last 2 years.
So, kindly suggest me how to claim ? By filing Revised Return OR to claim in FY: 2010-11 ? What is the Rule ? As he will get Refund.
Kindly reply on Urgent Basis, so that I can suggest him in your reference/s.
Thankx & Regards,

M.H. Laskar
Guwahati

sanjeev kumar goel (Expert)

Mr. M. H. Laskar it is advisable to suggest your client to file revised returns for the financial years 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 (if for F.Y. 2009-2010 ITR has been filed )and claim refund

soumitra basu (Expert)

Before filing revise return, you should make your self sure that the impugned allowance is exempt from payment of income tax.

×