Remember | Register | Forgot Password?
Bookmark This Page   RSS Feeds  Follow On Twitter


Search for Lawyers          

Home > Articles > Property Law > Sale of Immovable Property : Latest Judgment

Please Wait ..

Sale of Immovable Property : Latest Judgment

By : ambrish on 28 October 2011 Report Abuse Print Print this

Sale of Immovable Property : Latest Judgment


I am referring the latest judgment of Supreme Court on the burning issue of transfer of property by way of General Power of Attorney (GPA) / Sale agreement (SA) or Sale contract/ WILL. 


This judgment is passed by Hon’ble Justice R.V. Raveendran , Justice A.K. Patnaik & H.L.Ghokhle, in Special leave Petition of  Suraj Lamp &  Industries Vs. State of Haryana, decided on 11th October 2011.


This Judgment is very useful to learn the basics of transfer of property and create awareness among masses in simple language.


Crux of the finding are  as follows  :


1) Transfer of property  by way of Sale Agreement /  General Power of Attorney/ WILL  does not convey any title nor create any interest in an immovable property.  These document does not convey and lawful title.


2) Immovable property can be legally and lawfully transferred / conveyed only by a registered deed of conveyance.


3) Such records like GPA/Sale Agreements/Will  does not from any basis for Mutation in the municipal records and authorities should take a caution before mutation upon such documents.


4) Transfer of property by way of WILL would  also not give much scope to purchaser until the same is not proved in accordance of settled procedure of law and get a proper endorsement of the court. The registration of Will does not alter the situation as well.


5) Court has made it clear that if any development authority or municipal authority has accepted these document for mutation purpose than same should not be disturbed due to this decision.


6) Court has clarified that bonafide transaction should also not be disturbed.


Relevant  Legal Provisions in respect of  registration of  property document :-


1) Registration Act, 1908 by Amendment Act 48 of 2001 has made the provision that documents containing contract of transfer for consideration (Sale agreement) relating to any immovable property should be registered.


2) Section 32 (3) of Registration Act,, 1908 has specific provision that a POA for sale of immovable property should also be registered with registrar or sub registrar of relevant jurisdiction.


3) Section 54 of the Transfer of Property Act, 1882 defines that any property of more than 100 Rupees value can be transfer by a Registered deed only.


4) Section 53 A of Transfer of Property Act, 1882 speaks about the  part performance of the a written contract where seller has handed over the possession of property to buyer but the deed is not registered then the possession holder can enjoy the limited rights of the property but the this section read with latest amendment of Registration Act under section 17 (i(A))  which says that document containing contracts to transfer for consideration , any immovable property for the purpose of Section 53 A of Transfer of Property Act shall be registered otherwise such document if executed after 2001 shall have no effect for the purpose of part performance secured under section 53 A of TP act.


5) Section 27 of Indian Stamp Act lays down the obligation to pay eligible stamp duty on the conveyance deed. Article 23  of Stamp Act lays down the sale acknowledging delivery of the possession or power of attorney authorize to sell any immovable property are charged with sale duty as leviable on conveyances.


Benefits of Registration :


- Registration of  a document gives notice to the world that such a document has been executed.

- Registration provides safety and security to transactions relating to immovable  property, even if the documents is lost or destroyed.

- It gives the public exposure to a property transaction.

- Gives information to about the property to people dealing with that.

- Makes the property title  search easier.


(Other Cases of reference :  Narandas Karsonda V. S.A. Kamtam And Anr. (1977) 3 SCC 247. Rambaran Prosad V. Ram Mohit Hazar (1967)1 SCR 293. )



Ambrish Tiwari


Published in Property Law
Views : 17619

Source : ,

You need to be logged in to post comment

19 Comments for this Article



Wrote on 13 February 2014

I request you sir to let me know supreme court judgments regarding - -1)Stamp paper for executing GPA should be in the name of executant 2)Limitation from the date of signing the GPA by the principal cannot exceed 120 days before presentation/registration 3)principal's residence should be clearly written I'll be glad if you can e.mail me certain citations from Highcourt of A.P. and supreme court. The matter pertains to a crime of forgery and impersonation in Andhrapradeh. Sincerely, S.Raghupathi Social worker/NGO consultant



Wrote on 20 April 2013

I have given an advance of Rs.10000/- during October 26,2044 and a given written by seller on a Rs.20/- stamp paper with all terms and conditions that they will provide all clear papers and signature whereever required. In this stamp paper all mention ed that who are all sides landowners names..but after this we wanted to execute but the seller is not ready and they want to sell the same land to other people from the village. I have sent a legal notice twice to them. but no reply received. We were waiting for their reply and we were contacting them but they were telling us that the land will be given to us only. Afterward we have filed a suit under Specific performance during 2010. The court has given dates which we appear and they also present. Now the Court has kept our suit sine die ...What should I do further.

Mr. Shanmugam

Mr. Shanmugam

Wrote on 19 January 2013

Dear sir, I need your consultant regarding the below issue. Condition of cause: 1. My father sold the land to Party A without my consent and my signature. 2. I failure to make sue on my father as well as the party A who purchased. 3. A sold the same land after few months later to Party D 4. The documents are legally transferred on the name of party D 5. Now I make the sue on the name of Party D with the issue of I have rights of property. In this cause how can i inherit my rights on property please advice me. by affected party Shanjay

Quick Links

Browse By Category

Subscribe to Articles Feed
Enter your email to receive Article Updates:

web analytics