LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Test QA   16 May 2024

Need a suggestion

I am writing to bring to your attention a matter concerning a property owned jointly by my father and his brother, measuring 1100 square feet. Recently, this property was legally divided into two portions, with each party acquiring individual documentation including patta, agreement, EB, and property tax documents.

Upon division, my father constructed a house in the front portion while my uncle built a house at the rear. We agreed to allocate a 3-foot common pathway for access between the two properties. Additionally, during the construction phase, there was an understanding to allocate 1 foot of space behind the house. Accordingly, my father constructed his house adhering to this agreement. However, my uncle has encroached upon this space by extending his sunroof into our area, placing a gate in the common pathway, constructing a water sump, and installing a water pump within our designated space.

Furthermore, it's important to note that we have been paying taxes for the common area for approximately 12 years, including taxes related to a terrace constructed in this shared space on the first floor.

My concern lies in the legality of my uncle's encroachment onto our designated space and the potential legal ramifications of the terrace extension on the first floor into the common area.

Your guidance and advice on how to address this matter legally would be greatly appreciated.

Learning

3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     16 May 2024

The partition deed is to be perused to find out the terms of partition including usage of commoin areas by each individual

The encroachment of the common areas by one party may be considered as an illegal act.

Once it is a common area then the sump built by him for storing water for his purpose will defeat the meaning of common area.

However this has happened 12 years ago and your father was very well in the knowledge of all these issues, whereas he did not object about this even once.

If it is in his   exclusive and continuous possession and without interruption for a period of 12 years or more, i.e., to put it in simple words:

If it demonstrates that his  occupation of the land meets several requirements: continuous use, hostile and adverse occupation of the property, open and notorious possession, actual possession, and exclusive use.then he may said to have perfected the title to encroached portion of the property by operating the law of adverse possession.

However you may consult a local lawyer and discuss the subject matter at length and proceed as suggested 

Test QA   17 May 2024

Thanks Sir...

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     17 May 2024

You are welcome sir.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register