The Government has created new department – Department of Pharmaceuticals under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilisers. Notification to the effect was issued recently.
The Department will be responsible for the following:
1. Drugs and Pharmaceuticals, excluding those specifically allotted to other departments.
2. Promotion and co-ordination of basic, applied and other research in areas related to the pharmaceutical sector.
3. Development of infrastructure, manpower and skills for the pharmaceutical sector and management of related information.
4. Education and training including high end research and grant of fellowships in
5. Promotion of public – private – partnership in pharmaceutical related areas.
6. International co-operation in pharmaceutical research, including work related to international conferences in related areas in
7. Inter-sectoral coordination including coordination between organizations and institutes under the Central and State Governments in areas related to the subjects entrusted to the Department.
8. Technical support for dealing with national hazards in pharmaceutical sector.
9. All matters relating to National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority including related functions of price control/monitoring.
10. All matters relating to National Institutes for Pharmacy Education and Research.
11. Planning, development and control of, and assistance to, all industries dealt with by the Department.
13. Hindustan Antibiotics Limited.
14. Indian Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Limited.
15.Karnataka Antibiotics and Pharmaceuticals Limited.
16.Rajasthan Drugs and Pharmaceuticals Limited.