The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011 have been amended vide GSR 629 (E) dated 23rd June 2017. The said amendment will come into force w.e.f. 1st January 2018 to enhance consumer protection and for requirement of ease of doing business. The salient features of the said amendment are:
- Goods displayed by the seller on e-commerce platform shall contain declarations required under the rules.
- Specific mention is made in the rules that no person shall declare different MRPs (dual MRP) on an identical pre-packaged commodity.
- Size of letters and numerals for making declaration is increased, so that consumer can easily read the same.
- The net quantity checking is made more scientific.
- Bar Code/QR Coding are allowed on voluntarily basis.
- Provisions regarding declarations on Food Products have been harmonized with regulation under the Food Safety & Standards Act.
- Medical devices which are declared as drugs are brought into the purview of declarations to be made under the rules.
This information was given by Shri C. R. Chaudhary the Minister of State for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, in a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha, today.