Family Courts have been established with a view to promote conciliation and secure speedy settlement of, disputes relating to marriage and family affairs and for mattes connected therewith. Following type of cases are heard in the Family Courts:
1. Decree for nullity of marriage;
2. Restitution of Conjugal rights;
3. Judicial Separation;
5. Declaration of marital status of any person;
6. Matrimonial property matters;
7. Claim of maintenance;
9. Custody of children;
10. Access of children; and
11. Application for injunction in matrimonial matters.
Giving this information in written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of Law & Justice, Shri Salman Khurshid said that as per the information received from State Governments/ High Courts, 212 Family Courts are functional. The appointment of judges in Family Courts is within the domain of the respective State Governments and the State High Courts.