Invoking the recent amendments in the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967, the Central Government has decided to declare the following individuals as terrorists and add their names to Schedule 4 of the Act:
- Maulana Masood Azhar : chief, founder and key leader of Jaish-e-Mohammad
- Hafiz Muhammad: chief, founder and key leader of Lashkar-e-Taiba/Jamat-ud-Dawa
- Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi: chief operation commander of Lashkar-e-Taiba and one of its founder members
- Dawood Ibrahim Kaskar: runs an international underworld crime syndicate and is involved in perpetrating acts of terror
- All of the above are involved in terrorist attacks in India, and have been designated as global terrorists under United Nations.
Earlier when terrorist organizations were banned, the individuals associated with it simply changed names and continued to carry out terrorist activities.