Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Priya (Service)     30 July 2008

Saturday off

Dear Sir,

I am working in a reputation co. now we are getting two saturday off in a month. but now  staff demanded for every saturday off and our authority is not allowing for this. before two years they commited us, if comy will get more profit we will give every saturday off. In present our coy is earning good profit, but authority is refuseing for to do the same.

Some staffs are agree to work more 1 hour daily for getting saturday off. Now our work time is 9-5.30

Ple tell us if there are any solution.

Regards

Priya

Learning

5 Replies

Saravana Rajan   30 July 2008

Hi Priya,

There are a few aspects to be considered in this.

1. Your company policy on working hours / days - revised.

2. The offer / appointment / confirmation letter provided to you by the company.

3. The practice by similar industries / companys.

4. The volume of business the company now has.

In case if the company had provided you a written confirmation / commitment in this regard, you can fight for the same. But it does not seem to have happened here.

Moreover, it depends mainly on the company policy / management to decide on this.

AS EMPLOYEES, IF ALL ARE AGREEING TO WORK AN HOUR EXTRA PER DAY DURING WEEKDAYS TO COMPENSATE SATURDAY, IT MAY BE ACCEPTED BY THE MANAGEMENT.

But there is no hard and fast rule in this regard.

Regards,

Saravana Rajan.

H. S. Thukral (Lawyer)     30 July 2008

If you have an Association/Union of workmen in the organisatgion, then such a demand can be negotiated with the management.

Saravana Rajan   31 July 2008

I agree with Mr. Harbhajan.  There are not specific law references for this.  Agreement with the management / collective demand may help you out in this situation.

-Saravana Rajan.

Guest (n/a)     31 July 2008

Thanks Mr Rajan,

Dear Sir,

I want to know, can we get every saturday off without increasing daily duty hours. If we get saturday off then our duty hours will 40 only. As per my knowledge duty hours should min 46 hours in every week.

Please guide me in this regard.

Thanks

Priya

H. S. Thukral (Lawyer)     31 July 2008

There is no minimum duty hours provided in any legislation. It is only maximum hours. Employer-employees can agree to any lesser no. of working hours per week. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register