LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raju   25 August 2018

Registered Will

Hi Ld Counsels, My mother has few properties in her name which are self acquired plus other movable assets as well. Besides me, I have one sister and she is married. To avoid any confusion later in the future, I have requested my mom to register the will in favor of my sister as I don't want anything. Few people will have confusion that If I don't want anything then why problem will arise. I am married and ofcourse my wife will make objections which I don't want her to make. To be honest I don't want to see any family drama and let the things be simple/clear. Few questions: 1. Can I be witness to this will? 2. Any further document to state that I am aware of this will and don't need any share? 3. Time required in the process to register the will in Delhi? 4. How to get the things transferred in case something mis-happen? Please guide. Thanks, Abhishek

Learning

3 Replies

Aks   26 August 2018

Your mother has right to make a Will ONLY about her self acquired properties.  She can give her assets to anyone she wants thru a valid Will.

A valid Will format includes date and testators signatures on each page, descripttion of properties, name of beneficiary, names ,addresses and signatures of atleast two attesting witnesses. Yes, you can be attesting witness as you are not beneficiary.

It is not necessary to register a Will but it is better to register it.  There is no need for you to give or sign any document. If in your mother's Will, your name is missing, you donot get anything.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     26 August 2018

Q 1. Yes, you can be a witness to the will executed by your mother.

Q 2 No document(s) required.

Q 3 One hour (seek appointment of SR for e-registeration)

Q 4 Vague query, contents not understood. 

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     26 August 2018

Q 1. Yes, you can be a witness to the will executed by your mother.

Q 2 No document(s) required.

Q 3 One hour (seek appointment of SR for e-registeration)

Q 4 Vague query, contents not understood. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register