Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chockalingam (Engg)     21 March 2012

Urgent help - selling our share of ancestral property

Anyone please reply!

My ancestral traditional home was jointly co-owned by my granfather and his brother(which they got transferred from their parents and divisioned and partitioned among them). Now, we have no issues/claims with the other half of the property owned by my grandfather's brother's family members; instead, we have disputes in our share.ie. 50% of the entire property.

This half of the house, which was once in my grandfather's name got under a legal battle few decades ago and we fought to win the case. On winning the case, my grandfather's share of the house was tranferred to the names of his three sons ---- my dad and his two brothers. Few years ago, one of my father's brother issued a release deed out of the property. As a result, this 50% of the entire house is now co-owned by my dad and one of his brother. There is no clause stating the demarcation of areas between this two, but the 50% is totally co-owned by both and rooms are shared by understanding and verandahs are used in common.

Now, my dad wants to sell his entire holding share of the property.ie.25% of the entire property, but my dad's brother is opposing. Is it possible for my dad to transfer the property to some X without NOC from his brother and any other concerned. Or what can be done to sell this. We are in urgent need to do this step but we cannot expect any kind of co-operation from my father's brothers...... Please advise! 

Learning

4 Replies

One more related issue: The brother of my dad who preiously issues a release deed and went out of the propery now is planning to sit in the negotiation tables. So he is trying to 'revoke'/'reverse'  the release deed. Is such a thing possible?? Please advice...... 

Ravi chaturvedi (Partner)     21 March 2012

it is dwelling house so you have to take NOC from other co owners. you will have to send a legal notice intending your intention to sell the property. this is case for partion and file one more misc application under section 22 of succession Act. which is for prefretial right over the property.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     21 March 2012

First of all Relinquishment/Release Deed is irrevocable.

Secondly your father can sell his share without NOC from his brother. 

No one is currently staying in the entire property. It is locked and maintained. We have not partitioned among us of the 50% share of our grandfather. the 50% is jointly owned by my dad and his brother without specification of partition. It has common areas like verandah and four rooms and a kitchen.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register