LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

HS Panicker (Manager)     05 July 2010

Sundays or Rest Days for Managerial Staff

Do the Managerial Staff get a rest day in a week?

Learning

4 Replies

P. Selvam (Manager - HR)     06 July 2010

Mr. Paniker,

As per the act a workmen / employee irrespective of desination should not work beyond 48 hours in a week. I.e. There should be compulsory rest for one day after performing 6 days work ( 48 Hours ).

balaji r (manager)     07 July 2010

Dear Sir,

Please advise me the relevant section of which act an officer / managerial staff will work not more than 48 hours in a week.  If they are compeled to work on Sundays / Public Holidays, whether they can refuse to work and whether they get protection from any act?

r. balaji

balaji r (manager)     07 July 2010

Dear Sir,

What are the documents which can be notoarised by the Notary Public?  Whether there is any area of Jurisdiction?  Please advise me?

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     07 July 2010

Mr.Balaji/Panicker - Managers does not get the protection as enjoyed by the workmen. The Managers' terms of contract is governed by the general terms of the terms of appointment. Moreover, the role of  a Manager is defined by targets and responsibilities and hence he cannot have remedy of working hours/holiday etc. However, the company/firm where they work should be covered by the local shops and establishment act, the establishment is bound by the regulation/restrictions for opening/closing etc. Even here, labour authorities wont take note of a Manager being working on a holiday. Please check your terms of appoint for more clarity on your terms and conditions.

Further if your nature work is purely of workmen nature and designated as a "manager" to avoid the purview of the rights available for a workman, you can claim the rights of a 'workman" . Again fighting on a thin line like this

would hardly yield any fruitful results!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register