LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

S S Singh (Sr. SE)     01 May 2009

Sold Gold jewellery what's tax liability

I have just sold gold jewellery received by my wife during marriage 2 years ago. Jewellery was sold to pay part payment for purchase of flat.

Is there any tax liability now?

Learning

8 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     02 May 2009

Dear Singh:

The Income Tax Act says "Capital Asset :Capital asset means property of any kind except the following :

1. Stock-in-trade, consumable stores or raw-materials held for the purpose of business or profession.
  2. Personal effects like wearing apparel, furniture, motor vehicles etc., held for personal use of the tax payer or any member of his family. However, jewellery, even if it is for personal use, is a capital asset.

Hence the sale attracts Capital Gains @ 20% if it is a LTCG and @30% if it is STCG, please clarify whether your wife has any other source of income, since the same will be clubbed while computing her tax liability.

Further , you have stated that it was disposed 2 years back, it should had been declared in that relevant year, in case of any tax liability she wil be charged interest on the tax due @1.1% PM from the day the tax becomes due to the date its actual payment is made.

S S Singh (Sr. SE)     02 May 2009

Sorry, but let me make clear statement.

Got jewellery in Dec 2006 during marriage from parents. Sold in May 2008 for part payment of Flat.

Now my question is:

1. Sold in my name, so won't it be my tax liability?

2. Since all sale amount was used to pay flat EMI, can't we get exemption under section 54F?

3. What if it was gifted by parents bought by them a long time ago i.e more than 10 years ago. Can't we still get exemption? 

Dear Singh

1. Sold in my name, so won't it be my tax liability?

Ans. Though you sold it it belongs to your wife. Hence, the liability arises to her unless proved contrary.

2. Since all sale amount was used to pay flat EMI, can't we get exemption under section 54F?

Ans. Did the amount invested in the relevant year for the flat in which the gold jewellery was sold? If answer is affirmative then you can claim exemption. However if it not so then the sub section 4 of 54 F comes into operation which reads as follows:

94[(4) The amount of the net consideration which is not appropriated by the assessee towards the purchase of the new asset made within one year before the date on which the transfer of the original asset took place, or which is not utilised by him for the purchase or construction of the new asset before the date of furnishing the return of income under section 139, shall be deposited by him before furnishing such return [such deposit being made in any case not later than the due date applicable in the case of the assessee for furnishing the return of income under sub-section (1) of section 139] in an account in any such bank or institution as may be specified in, and utilised in accordance with, any scheme95 which the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, frame in this behalf and such return shall be accompanied by proof of such deposit ; and, for the purposes of sub-section (1), the amount, if any, already utilised by the assessee for the purchase or construction of the new asset together with the amount so deposited shall be deemed to be the cost of the new asset :

3. What if it was gifted by parents bought by them a long time ago i.e more than 10 years ago. Can't we still get exemption? 

Ans. If it was gifted 10 yrs back then the cost of the jewellery on such date shall be considered as the cost of acquisition.

S S Singh (Sr. SE)     04 May 2009

Yes, the jewellery was sold in May 2008 and paid flat part payment in May 2008 also, so used all sale amount.

Since jewellery was gifted to us during marriage in Dec 2006. Can we still get exemption under section 54F?  

A V Vishal (Advocate)     04 May 2009

Dear Singh

54F exemption is for long term capital gains and not short term(since the period of holding is less that 3 years), you cannot claim benefit of 54F

S S Singh (Sr. SE)     04 May 2009

Not even if it was purchased by parents a long time ago like I said before 10 years ago, but was gifted during marriage in Dec 2006???

A V Vishal (Advocate)     04 May 2009

No the fact remains that the property in it was transferred to you only in 2006, hence there can be no claim

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register