Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     24 April 2009

RTI against Insurance Company maintainable?

I want clarification from members, whether RTI application can be filed against Unsurance Company to furnish the details of insurance policy made by the Insured? Can such application be made by the Claimant's Counsel, when insurance papers are with held by the Insurance company?

Learning

8 Replies

Rahul Sanap (Student)     24 April 2009

Private sector companies do not fall under perview of RTI, if it is a govt. entity then you can file under RTI. However if you are insured you have every right to ask for any details from company & if third party you can claim it through court.

Md Shadab Ansari (Law Student & Human Rights Activist....)     24 April 2009

I agree with Mr.Rahul

Shree. ( Advocate.)     24 April 2009

Dear Assumi Sir,

Private Insurance companies do not come directly under the RTI  Act.It is therefore take the IRDA route. You can file complaint with Insurance Ombudsman and its details are at IRDA website.

Please also visit : https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...under-rti.html

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     24 April 2009

Thank you all for the valuable information:

sanjay singh thakur (advocate)     24 April 2009

Dear Asumi

I fully agree with the view of Mr. Shree.

D.C AHUJA (CONSULTANT)     26 April 2009

I do not agree by above replies.Govt companies like New India, United Insurance are covered by RTI act and for other as IRDA is covered so what informations companies are bound to send to IRDA are covered in RTI act.

yogita (student)     26 April 2009

I want clarification from members, whether RTI application can be filed against Unsurance Company to furnish the details of insurance policy made by the Insured?

- Yes you can. Provided you give the details which are useful to trace the policy. In the absence of policy details, it would be difficult for an insurer to help you.

Example: as per MV act it is the duty of the police officer to give the policy details to the victim as well as tribunal. Also police officer must send the report to the tribunal and copy to the insurer. 

Can such application be made by the Claimant's Counsel, when insurance papers are with held by the Insurance company?

SUch application can be made, but insurance company may not be in a position to help if you dont provide enough supporting details. So please make the concerned state police officer as a respondent as well.

Pramod Harkisondas Divecha (private)     09 November 2009

This is with reference to the reply of Mr. D.C.Ahuja, consultant, wherein it is clarified that Govt. companies are covered by RTI and for private Insurance Companies are covered through IRDA.  Do I understand that for Private sector Companies, IRDA functions as PA and its officals have to act as either PIOs. CPIOs, FAA etc.

I had filed an RTI query with HDFC SL, a private sector Co., but the same has been rejected on the ground of being in the Private Sector. If we accept the above understanding the HDFCSL legal Official should have forwarded my application to the concerned PIO, rather than rejecting it at his end.  May I request all my friends, especailly Mr. Ahuja to eloborate on the above.  

thanks and regards. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register