Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     26 January 2012

Right to live does not include right to die?

The Constitution grant right to Live but there are pronouncement of the Court that the said right does not include right to Die. Now, freedom of speech also means freedom to remain silent, freedom to move around also means freedom not to move around etc. So why should it not be right to life also means right to die? Why should the law be so zealous of life when it is not zealous of its right to live a good life and its welfare etc?

Learning

5 Replies

Democratic Indian (n/a)     26 January 2012

I would like to correct one point here. Constitution is not "granting" any fundamental right including right to life. It is merely guaranteeing already existing fundamental rights.

Yes I agree that fundamental rights are negative rights and one can choose not to enjoy them. Logically same applies for right to life unless someone wants to justify by bringing up some concocted and twisted logic.

pratik (self working)     27 January 2012

Freedom of speech also means freedom to remain silent. any SC judgment which is not overridden by the court.

Thanks

akash kapoor (*************)     27 January 2012

IN MY VIEW THE COURT IS INTERESTED IN WELLBEING OF ALL THE CITIZENS OF THE COUNTRY. IT IS A RECOGNISED STATEMENT THAT " PUBLIC INTEREST IS NOT GENERALLY STUFFS IN WHICH PUBLIC IS INETRESTED IN". THE FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS ARE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN BOUNADRIES. THE COURT HAS UPHELD THIS IN MANY CASES. IT IS RIGHT IN MY VIEW ALSO.

Ankit Kr Mishra (student)     27 January 2012

The question on whether or not the right to die is included in Article 21 came up for consideration for the first time in the case of State of Maharashtra vs Maruti Sripati Dubal (1987) in the Bombay High Court. The court held that the right to life includes the right to die, and struck down Section 309 IPC.

In this case, a mentally deranged Bombay Police constable tried to set himself afire in the corporation's office on being refused permission to set up a shop. The court observed, "No deterrence is further going to hold back those who want to die for a special or political cause or to leave the world either because of the loss of interest in life or for self-deliverance."

In P Rathinam vs Union of India (1994), a division bench of the Supreme Court supported the HC ruling and struck down Section 309 as unconstitutional on the grounds that it amounted to punishing the victim twice over.

Both these rulings were overruled in 1996 in the Gian Kaur vs State of Punjab case. A fivemember Constitution bench held that the right to life does not include 'right to die' or 'right to be killed'. Death is the opposite of life. Likewise, the right to die is inconsistent with the right to life, it was stated. Delivering this verdict, the court observed, "The right to life is a natural right embodied in Article 21 of the Constitution but suicide is an unnatural termination or extinction of life .... and inconsistent with the concept of right to life."

Supreme Court lawyer RN Trivedi says the court overruled the orders on the ground that Section 309 confers a wide discretion in the matter of sentencing, without prescribing any minimum punishment and without making imprisonment compulsory However, Mumbai-based criminal lawyer Majid Memon says, "A person who commits suicide is himself a victim, rather than an offender We in a civil society must identify causes for his acts and ensure such circumstances do not recur."

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     27 January 2012

We have discussed a lot on Section 497 IPC for scrapping the same being biased towards Male and now I am of the view that Section 309 IPC too should be srapped.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register