Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Radhakrishnan (Government Service)     31 March 2009

Right to Information Act

Sir,

actually i am new to this and pl. excuse me if i have made this request wrongly  in this forum. my querry is with regard to RTI. is there any circular/notification/decision that the reply given to the applicant should be in the language used by the applicant.  For ex. if the applicant makes an application in Tami from a central govt. office in TN, the reply given is either in English or in Rajabasha (Hindi - as there is an Hindi Officer in every department). can the applicant insist on furnishing the reply in Tamil?

Radhakrishnan

Learning

11 Replies

Ashey   31 March 2009

citizen whQ 'desires to obtain any information under the Act, should make an

application to the Central Public Information Officer (CPIO) of the concerned public

authority in writing in English or Hindi or in the official language of the area in which

the application is made.

Ashey   31 March 2009

I don't think there is any such provision in the act to provide information in the requested language

Ashey   31 March 2009

u can seek for the information in the language in which it is available

Akhilesh Kumar (Legal Counsel)     31 March 2009

Dear,

sec.6(1)of the RTI Act says that "A Person who desires to obtain any information under this Act, shall make a request in writing or through electronic means in english or hindi or in the official language of the area in which the application is being made, accompanying such fee as may be prescribed.

Provided that where such request cannot be made in writing, the CPIO/ SPIO as the case may be shall render all reasonable assistance to the person making the request orally to reduce the same in writing.

Dear,

sec.6(1)of the RTI Act says that "A Person who desires to obtain any information under this Act, shall make a request in writing or through electronic means in english or hindi or in the official language of the area in which the application is being made, accompanying such fee as may be prescribed.

Provided that where such request cannot be made in writing, the CPIO/ SPIO as the case may be shall render all reasonable assistance to the person making the request orally to reduce the same in writing.

No, you can not compell the department to make it in desired language. if the said department or gov. office  prefers to furnish the desired language then.

Ashey   01 April 2009

Are you cleared Mr. Radhakrishnan

A.Mohamed Thaheer (ADVOCATE)     01 April 2009

Sir,

It is a good question. Since, you have sent an application to the Central Government in  Tamil Nadu, for getting information under  R.T. Act.2005, you can insist the reply in Tamil, even though there is no specific circular etc., pertaining to your specific request. Normally, the Department is also expected to give the reply in Tamil, as your question raised only in Tamil nadu, even though the question is pertaining to Central Government Organisation. The main object of the Act is to exhibit transparancy in Indian Administration, even to the illiterate person, to the person who does not know other languages than the vernacular language.

Radhakrishnan (Government Service)     01 April 2009

thanks to all for giving me a detailed reply.  but please update this forum (an me) on any  (future) developments. THANKS

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     03 April 2009

I am getting information in the regional languages. Forget the RTI Act.

A.Mohamed Thaheer (ADVOCATE)     10 April 2009

lease go through the RTI Portal for getting all information you require.www.cic.nic.in

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register