Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Yogesh (other)     28 February 2012

Regarding my father's will

Hello,

My father passed away a few weeks back and has left a registered will. How much time after a person's death does his will get executed? I belong to Delhi and visited one govt. office where some one told me that a will gets effective after 3 months of a person's death. Is the will effective after 3 months or 6 months? I am asking this as I have to work on getting the property titles changed.

Another question, is the will read by the lawyer whom my father had consulted and got this will registered? Does the lawyer record our acceptance to the will to legalize it.? Kindly tell me this procedure as well. Should I be contacting that lawyer?

Thanks,
Yogesh

Learning

2 Replies

Solicitor Chirag Shah (Advocate & Solicitor)     29 February 2012

Will comes in to effect as soon as the executor dies.

You need to obtain the Probate from the court of competant jurisdiction to give effect to the provisions of will.

You can make the advocate who read the will or who has prepared the will as witness to give testimony.

Regards,

Chirag M. Shah.

URMIL SHARMA (Practicing Advocate.)     29 February 2012

will is effective from the death of the executor. it is on you to meet the lawyer who prepared the will otherwise it is not necessary to give your acceptance to the will to any one and before anyone.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register