Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Charan Kedar.C. (Advocate)     16 September 2008

Regarding Maternity Leave

Hi All,

I Came to know the central govt has increased the maternity leave for working womans in govt sector and i would like to know wether it is applicable for woman those are working in private sector or not.

Kindly find the details below:

The Centre has increased maternity leave for its employees to six months and cleared paid leave for two years to take care of children. The order, effective from Sept 1, increases maternity leave of women employees from 135 days to a cool 180 days for each of their two children.

Assuming a working woman has two children, she’ll be enjoying a three-year paid break from work - six-month maternity leave for each of the two kids and a two-year collective child-care leave.

From now on, women employees can take paid leave up to two years during their career for “taking care” of their two children without affecting seniority. Even if a woman has only one child, she can take the two-year leave. Termed “child-care leave”, this will be besides the maternity break they are entitled to. Adding to the bonanza, a woman employee can avail of child-care leave in any combination till her two children attain 18 years of age.

In line with the Sixth Pay Commission proposals, the new leave regime for women means that during their stint with the government, they can avail paid leave of as much as three years, provided they do it only for two children.

Central increases maternity leave to six months and clears paid leave for two years to take care of children. Order is effective Sept 1

Maternity leave was 135 days till now; new rule applies to a maximum of two children
Also, employees can take paid leave up to two years (730 days) during their career for “taking care” of their two children. The break from work won’t affect seniority
Child-care leave can be taken in any combination till her two children are 18 years of age

Thanks & Regards,

Charan Kedar.C.

Learning

9 Replies

Charan Kedar.C. (Advocate)     17 September 2008

Hi All,

Kindly any one let me know with the details.

Thanks & Regards,

Charan Kedar.C.

Vikas Kr. Sinha (Labour Lawyer Ranchi Jharkhand)     01 October 2008

Dear Charan kedar. C,
Your question is where female employees working in private sector are entitle to maternity benefits at par with the benefits granted by the central government employees.
The answer is NO.
The condition of service of the private sector employees are guided by the special Acts, Viz. Factories Act, Shops & Establishments Act etc, the certified standing orders and the term of employment.
So far as Acts are concerned, such a provision is not there.

TS Bhatia (HR Executive)     14 October 2008

in private sector ,the maternity benefit act is applicable.So if there amendment in this act then only it will be applicable in private sector.

TS Bhatia (HR Executive)     14 October 2008

in private sector ,the maternity benefit act is applicable.So if there amendment in this act then only it will be applicable in private sector.

M.RAVIKUMAR (CM-HR)     24 April 2009

Hii

State Government declared “Bunth” is payable or unpayable

badrinath (Sr.Manager-human resources)     04 May 2009

Bundth declared by government is " not payable " , legally. 

Harinder singh (HR)     25 February 2010

Hi all, I am working as Staff Nurse in Health Department Punjab since January 2007 on contract basis.I am pregnant now.

Am i eligible for maternity benefits like leave with pay ?

Kindly mail me on iqbal_office1@yahoo.com

Kamaljit Kaur

rachna gupta (scientist B)     08 July 2010

i m working as a scientist in central govt organisation on contract basis in new delhi. i m expecting now.kindly let me know about the maternity leave benefits for me.

my mail id are guptrachna@rediff.com.com and guptrachna78@gmail.com

plz help me in this regard.

rachna gupta

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     20 November 2011

Kamaljit Kaur should consult leave rule sof Punjab Govt.  She is not the first woman employee of the state who is inpregnancy.

rachna Gupta should see CCS( Leave) rules,  whether they apply to contrct employees or not.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register