LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rohit Shrivastava (Manager)     26 April 2011

Publication of Magazine

One of my clients, which is a business consultancy firm, wants to publish magazine related to update in Business world on quaterly basis.

I am not sure what are the permissions / approval or certificates they need to obtain before commencing this activity.

Please guide. 

Regards 

Learning

5 Replies

S. P. ASHOK (Advocate Bombay High Court 8450920005 advocatespashok@gmail.com)     26 April 2011

You have to register the magazine with Registrar of Newspapaer for India (RNI). RNI has its offices at New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkatta and Chennai.

1 Like

Rohit Shrivastava (Manager)     27 April 2011

Dear Ashok Ji,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. It was very useful and helped for further research.

Howvever, I have another question in this reagrd.  

As per Rule 5 of PRB Act, 1867, no newspaper shall be published in India except in conformity with the rules laid down in the Act. A newspaper means  “any printed periodical work containing public news or comments on public news”. Hence, any publication coming under this category of newspaper is required to be registered with RNI. 

My question is:

The printed periodical to be printed by our client will contain the information already available in Public domain (i.e. Government notification, websites or opinions of professionals and comments on those infomation). Will this information fall under the purview of definition of public news?  

Regards.

AAK (Advocate)     27 April 2011

yes

S. P. ASHOK (Advocate Bombay High Court 8450920005 advocatespashok@gmail.com)     27 April 2011

Dear Rohit,

Yes They are public news. The law magazines contain the material which they take from Government. You go ahead with registration. You have to declare a lot of informations related with magazine before RNI and all will be cleared to you in the process.

S.P.Ashok

Ritesh Jain (Self)     27 May 2011

What if the booklet /newspaper without any news item is issued and only contain commercial advertisement.

IS registration compulsory??

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register