LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guest (n/a)     18 November 2008

Power of Attorney in stamp paper

I am in the process of obtaining a power of attorney here in the us to sell my fathers property in India as he is not well to travel. My question is - does the poa need to be on stamp paper obtained from india or can it be on ordinary paper with the usual procedure outlined by the indian consulate here in usa. Thanks

Learning

7 Replies

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     19 November 2008

The Power of Attorney you can get on plan paper duly signed , witnessed & attested with seal of notary public. The Indian consulate in US shall do the necessary attestation job of notary on a fixed amount to be paid by you. No Indian non-judicial stamp paper required for this documentation as any POA from foreign country having proper Notral attestation & seal is sufficient for disposal of the immovable property in India which you get only on plan paper from the foreign country.

Legal Eagle (Advocate)     19 November 2008

Hi. Iagree to what has been mentioned above. In which state do you stay. In Mumbai you can get the POA registered. U have to go to the Old Customs House, 3rd floor, where u have to fill in the form and attach the POA. After a week you will get the POA duly stamped.

M. PIRAVI PERUMAL (Advocate & Consumer Rights)     20 November 2008

What Mr. Vijay & Mr. Kashmira said is correct, it has to be validated/stampted before the authorities concerned.  For example in case of tamil nadu you  have to produce the  POA before the  Sub-Registrar in whose jurisdiction lies within 30 days (from the date of execution at abraad or  30 from the date  on which you have received the same through post/courier (in such case you have to keep the envelope too) ) and you can pay fee and validate/stamp the POA.  It differs from State to State

prof s c pratihar (medical practitioner &legal studies)     20 November 2008

indian consulate in usa have a legal division to help and discharge judicial function as required by indian citizen . pls enquire how signature attestion to be done and act as per the advice of indian consulate there.

R.Santha Moorthy (advocate)     23 November 2008

reply given by advocate piravi perumal is absolutely correct in procedure.

sushil (bussiness)     26 November 2008

piravi is right. i have adopted this several times.

SUBHASH CHAND VERMA (INCOME TAX & SALE TAX PRACTITIONER )     22 November 2013

SIR,

I WANT KNOW THAT HOW STAMP PAPER COST IN GENERAL POWER OF ATTORNEY?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register