LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manohara Rao (Employee_private sector)     05 May 2009

PF applicability to Servantmaid

Please let me know whether PF is applicable to Servantmaids engaged for cleaning of Office. They work 3-5 hrs in a day.

Learning

6 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     05 May 2009

Dear Mr Rao,

If the servant maid is on the muster rolls, then P F will be applicable.

Manohara Rao (Employee_private sector)     05 May 2009

Dear Sir,

They are not on any rolls but work 2 hrs morning and 2-3 hrs evening.

A V Vishal (Advocate)     06 May 2009

Then it is not required

badrinath (Sr.Manager-human resources)     07 May 2009

i agree with Mr.Vishal but legally  when a person is employed they should be given pf coverage.there is also an exception like, if they are apprentice under the standing order or under the apprenctice Act, they need not be given Pf coverage.

to conclude, it depends whether the management wants to strictly abide by all employment laws or  to have some  adjustments here and there, the management can take decisions. but legally speaking all employees ( except trainees/ apprentices) should be given PF coverage from the date of joining.   

A V Vishal (Advocate)     07 May 2009

Dear Badri,

Legally, the maid is not employed, her name is not on record

badrinath (Sr.Manager-human resources)     08 May 2009

Dear Mr.Vishal,

the point here is the servant maid is employed but she is not in the muster rolls.i think inorder to avoid the statutory benefits, the servant maid has not been shown in the muster rolls.since because she is not in the muster rolls, it dosent mean that she is not employed. the accounts voucher for payment of  wages to the servant maid will clearly  establish  that she  has been  employed.

hence going by law , she should be given PF coverage.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register