Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rajeev Kumar (Professioanl Social worker)     11 December 2010

One query related to Indian christian Marriage act

Dear All

My one freind who is hindu boy want to solemnize marriage with christian girl. They are approaching different churches . As girl family want to solemnize marriage according to thier tradition.  But the family of girl is stressing on boy that he should convert /baptize in christianlity, otherwise marriage will not be solemnized.

here related to that case my some queries are:

whether one Hindu boy can solemnize marriage with christian girl under christian marriage act?

whether hindu boy will have to convert ?baptize in christianity for the purpose of marriage only?

Whether hindu boy can practice his own religion (hinduism) after marriage ?

Kindly reply

Thanks

Regards

Learning

9 Replies

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     11 December 2010

Marriage can be solemnised among christians at the church. The boy needs to convert himself to christianity.The couple can practice the religion of their choice after marriage. 

Renuka Gupta ( Gender Researcher )     11 December 2010

Under the amended Christian marriage act ( 2001) it is enough if one of them is a Christian, hence the boy in this case does not have to covert to Christianity . To my surprise even many of the advocates do not seem to be knowing about this amendment. The marriage can be solemnised by a priest who has licence to somenise the marriage. The marriage would be duly entered in the register of marriage. The couple can get a marriage certificate thus solemnised from the IG office. 

Yes, they will be free to practice their own individual religions.

1 Like

hedevil hydraheaded (non professional )     11 December 2010

Renuka ji is right. I am attaching the concerned act, please refer to page 7 for the relevant reference. The boy does not have to convert in this case as pointed out in her post. 

Here is the attachment....

Attached File : 48 48 54 the indian christian marriages act 4 .pdf downloaded: 472 times

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     11 December 2010

whether one Hindu boy can solemnize marriage with christian girl under christian marriage act?

- No. Only between Christians.

whether hindu boy will have to convert ?baptize in christianity for the purpose of marriage only? Whether hindu boy can practice his own religion (hinduism) after marriage ?

- Mr. Gabriel's ans perfect.

NO NEED TO CONVERT TO CHRISTIANITY. THE SPECIAL MARRIAGE ACT IS THERE, FOR THIS PURPOSE. CONVINCE THE COUPLE ABOUT THE SPECIAL MARRIAGE ACT. NO NEED TO CHANGE THE RELIGION. STILL THEN IF THE GIRL WANTS TO BAPTISIZED THE BOY - THIS WILL MEAN THAT, THE GIRL DO NOT LOVE THE BOY, HER INTENTION IS TO CONVERT THE BOY IN THE NAME OF MARRIAGE.

Arup ji., please read the amended act, page no. 7. If one ot them is Christian, marriage can be solemnised by a christian priest without converting the boy. 

I have attached the act, please read page no. 7.

1 Like

Rajeev Kumar (Professioanl Social worker)     12 December 2010

Dear All

I am agreed with Renuka Ji and hedevil ji. The portion of U/S 4 of  Indian christian act -1872 is given below.

It measn that if one of them is christian and other is not christian, the marriage can be solemnised.

"Every marriage between persons, one or both of whom is 11[or are] a Christian or Christians, shall be

solemnized in accordance with the provisions of the next following section; and any such marriage

solemnized otherwise than in accordance with such provisions shall be

void."      

Regards

Rajeev                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

SACHIN AGARWAL (ADVOCATE)     15 December 2010

Arup Ji,

It appears that you have not gone through the amended act.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register