Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Renuka Gupta ( Gender Researcher )     10 December 2010

No to Dowry....

‘No' to dowry

Photo: AFP 

Spreading a message:Social activist Tariq Dar, dressed as a groom, symbolically begs for money from a pedestrian during an anti-dowry campaign by an NGO in Mumbai on Thursday. Around 7,000 dowry related-deaths occur in India annually.

Printer friendly page   
Send this article to Friends by E-Mail

Learning

13 Replies

Legal Fighter (Advocate)     10 December 2010

The groom seems to be facing 498A and is begging money for paying it to his beloved wife.

Renuka Gupta ( Gender Researcher )     10 December 2010

Legal Fighter, please convey the correct facts to the Hindu. I am sure The Hindu so that they can correct the facts and publish regrets for having published a factually wrong news item!!
1 Like

KNK A Learner (Learning to share)     10 December 2010

Even if you take or dont take dowry, If Wife want to file Case, she will claim that you took dowry or Sridhan, Better take dowry and enjoy.

All the best.

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     11 December 2010

"DULHA BIKTA HAI BOLO KHAREEDOGE"

It is the coice whether grooms wish to fix their price in the groom market and any purchaser will bargain and say something like u are not worth of this much at most I will pay this much and so on

Or

Become invaluable.

Rajesh Kumar (Advocate)     11 December 2010

For a women, marriage is all about money and husband is a mere "earning object".

In order to buy the best earning object, women competes among themselves; which is the only reason of dowry. Yes, the manipulative women create a problem herself, and blame is on man.

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     11 December 2010

Originally posted by :Rajesh Kumar
"
In order to buy the best earning object, women competes among themselves; which is the only reason of dowry.
"

Sir,if you say that only girls are dowry givers while men are disinterested in dowry,can you explain who burnt women with kerosene oil or poisoned them due to which dowry laws were passed?are their parents killing them?because only they want to give dowry as per your opinion.

1 Like

Well, I am saying that women give dowry to buy the best earning object in marriage. Off court, earning objects also want to offer themselves to the highest bidder. All that I am saying that both men & women are responsible for dowry....... yes, I do feel bad when gender biased laws blame only Men for dowry. Women are equally responsible.

Before enactment of Hindu Succession Act, women has no right in the property of their father.... now they have equal rights in the property. In fact they are coparceners in the joint hindu family of their father. It is girl's parents who does not give this property right to their daughters. Once girl's parents will start giving the property rights of their daughters, the problem of dowry will end automatically. 

The other problem is women themselves. Thousands of women files cases against their husbands/inlaws for property rights/maintenance which is not there, but no woman file cases against their parents for their own rightful share in their parental property. It happens because parent-daughter relationship is a natural relationship, consisting of natural love and affection; whereas husband-wife relationship is an artificial relationship based on buying of earning object.

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     11 December 2010

okay..

sir i want to ask you a few things..

u blame girls' parents that they dont wana give property share....if they start giving it,dowry problem will end....................how???

u also say that men are also interested in getting dowry.so i conclude that once men know their wives are bringing property share from their families,they will no more demand anything...is that wot u mean?

...also some men believe that if the girl is working "she's a dowry herself"so no need to demand anything...and we women feel very proud of it that working girls are some "assets"...we dont realise that its another way of getting money from the girl...from a non-working girl it's thru her parents(dowry) and from a working girl it's thru her income...so wots so great or modern abt. it that people say that women shud work to end dowry system?

u keep saying that once girls parents give her property share boys will stop demanding...so entire blame is on these poor parents only....that they are responsible.already they are victims of circumstances...spending their lifetime saving on getting children educated,then married,then give them shares..

why dont we give some gyaan to boy's parents also that they are getting a lifetime companion for their boy...so she shud also be treated respectfully as she will be there with him when parents are no more..

u also say girls want to marry high earning boys....can i know wots the harm in it?if suppose you have a daughter,will you not want a boy who's very well settled and well earning or will you send ur daughter to someone who's not well settled and facing many hurdles in life owing to financial constraintts?to explain better...if u have 2 job offers...if one is higher paying and more beneficail then the other one,will you not choose the better one so that u have a smoother life?

lastly even if i assume that looking for a well to do boy is a sin by girls,tell me why do well to do boys not stop marrying?according to them,girls are buying them because they earn well...if girls are buying them,why dont they put their foot down and say "NO" to such material bidding?

why do they advertise themselves so much in matrimonial columns of sunday newspapers?why are they so choosy abt. selecting brides who are very well qualified or of "status family"?why dont they marry poor or mid. class women who are non-working and cant afforfd to throw lavish weddings in farmhouses or 5-star hotels?and then later they complain of greedy wives trapping them in false cases..

why dont they prefer values of a girl instead of her family status,her high earnings,ability to give a "decent" marriage, etc?

1 Like

Dowry has been made a hated term through feminist propaganda, and hence it is difficult to do an objective discussion. But let me try.....

One thing is property, income, wealth....... other thing is harassing somebody or killing somebody or harming somebody for property/income/wealth. Such harassment or killing or harming is never justified and must be punished. Once this point is clear, we can proceed to discuss about dowry, the property.

You have answered yourself,

"u also say girls want to marry high earning boys....can i know wots the harm in it?if suppose you have a daughter,will you not want a boy who's very well settled and well earning or will you send ur daughter to someone who's not well settled and facing many hurdles in life owing to financial constraintts?to explain better...if u have 2 job offers...if one is higher paying and more beneficail then the other one,will you not choose the better one so that u have a smoother life?"

Thus when a boy has two offers- one for higher value and other for lower value- what will he choose?

Let us examine poor parents of girl:

"u keep saying that once girls parents give her property share boys will stop demanding...so entire blame is on these poor parents only....that they are responsible.already they are victims of circumstances...spending their lifetime saving on getting children educated,then married,then give them shares.."

What about the boy's parents? Didnt they educated the children, taken care of them, married them.... and they give their property share too. Why should the girl's parents should not do it?

GYAAN:

Many sages died trying to give gyaan to people. Lord Krishna could not succeed in giving gyaan despite babbling Geeta. Do you think I or you or anybody can give gyaan to anybody? I dont think so.

Solution lies in accepting the basic nature of human beings.... SELFISHNESS... we have to accept that human beings are selfish, be it man or woman. And solution has to find keeping in mind what a "selfish" person will do in given circumstances.

Men's Rights:

Certain laws are legislated under the wrong presumption that woman is not selfish..... they sacrifice their life, devi type.... these laws are most likely to be abused by women. We oppose these laws. Dowry laws is one of them.

2 Like

Bhartiya No. 1 (Nationalist)     11 December 2010

In India I guess that 95% marriages are used to be arranged one, where consent of brides and grooms are rarely taken, so parents are to be blamed and are greedier than the grooms.

In so many instances girls parent marry them to beneath their station to save the dowry. Only those who wish to see their daughter happy, pays dowry.

I have seen even educated females like lady doctors and engineers too have paid dowry to get married to doctors and engineers etc, so generally orthodox parents feels that when they will have to pay dowry then why to waste money on the education of their daughters.

It is not true that women do not file suit to get their property right from their natal families. Dowry should no way be justified.

(Guest)

Good message by Renuka gupta

And moral of the story is;prefer values of a girl instead of her family status,her high earnings,ability to give a "decent" marriage--That Roshni earlier said.

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     12 December 2010

Originally posted by :Prabhakar
"
Roshniji,

your second post is really very, very good.
"

Thanks Prabhakar jee..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register