LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sapna Makhija (Lawyer)     05 September 2009

Name Change of a child

Hi, can you please guide in the matter of name change of a child whoseparents have divorsed and the custody lies with the mother:

Anita Shah (maiden name) got married with Mr. Anupam Pandya. They have a daughter Krishna of 10 years. Now they got divorsed through the Court and the court granted the custody of their daughter to the mother.

Now after divorse, mother wants to change her daughter's name (remove her father's name and surname  and to add her maiden name and surname) i.e. from Krishna Anupam Pandya to Krishna Shah or Krishna Anita Shah.

How can it be done? what is the procedure for name change in this case?

Mr. Anupam Shah the father has no objection in changing his daughter's middle and last name.

Kindly advice.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Sapna Makhija

Learning

10 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     05 September 2009

In case you wish to change your name, that also includes your father's name (!!) or even Surname you have to follow a very simple procedure.

Go to the State Government Press in the Capital City of your state.

Ask them for the form for change of name and obtain it.

Fill up the form and submit it (preferably then and there).

Pay the requisite Fees in cash. (Rs. 120/- in Maharashtra for routine (6-8 weeks for publication) and Rs. 620/- for urgent (2-3 weeks)).

The Press would publish the details of the change of your name (or father's name, or surname as be your case) and post you two copies of the Government Gazette or ask you to collect the same. The press would also let you know when they would publish the same.

Thereafter wherever you wish to submit your change of Name / Father's Name / Surname Proof, you can submit true copies of the relevant pages of the Gazette.

1 Like

postdivorce (none)     06 September 2009

But does the mother have sole custody, the fathers NOC is not required?

postdivorce (none)     06 September 2009

I need to know what kind of custody does the mother have permanant or sole? also does the father have access to the child and is maintaining the child?

I would be greatful if this question is answered

Kamal Grover (Advocate High Court Chandigarh M:09814110005 email:adv.kamal.grover@gmail.com)     07 September 2009

Her father can visit if court permits,

you have right to get the maintenance for your child.

Regards

adv.kamal.grover@gmail.com

postdivorce (none)     07 September 2009

Mr grover

i didnt ask what rights father has?? I infact asked- to change the name of the child , fathers NOC is required or not?

thats why i wanna know in what kind of custody does the mother has all the rights including name change w/o fathers intervention

this is very very imp for me to know,

thanking u

extracurious

Sapna Makhija (Lawyer)     08 September 2009

Thanks for the reply. Mother has been granted the sole custody of her daughter and father has no further rights and responsibilities.

My question is mother wants to change her daughter's name. Mother wants to delete her daughter's father's name and surname as her daughter's middle and last name. 

Mother wants to add her name as middle name and her maiden surname as her daughter's last name. How can she do that? what is the procedure. Kindly suggest.

Sapna Makhija (Lawyer)     08 September 2009

Thanks for the reply. Mother has been granted the sole custody of her daughter and father has no further rights and responsibilities towards child.

My question is mother wants to change her daughter's name. Mother wants to delete her daughter's father's name and surname as her daughter's middle and last name. 

Mother wants to add her name as middle name and her maiden surname as her daughter's last name. How can she do that? what is the procedure. Kindly suggest.

Thanks!

Kamal Grover (Advocate High Court Chandigarh M:09814110005 email:adv.kamal.grover@gmail.com)     08 September 2009

Miss u ask the question;
I need to know what kind of custody does the mother have permanant or sole? also does the father have access to the child and is maintaining the child?

And i replied yes Father has right, if court permits and maintaining the child.

Further if you only want to know about change of name then you should think that your above question was irrelavant and you got the same irrelavant reply.

Think before you ask any question and if anybody answers then first go through your question first and not get furious.

The people like u dont deserve any legal aid or our advise.

Good luck.

postdivorce (none)     09 September 2009

Mr grover sorry to get you annoyed,

I am  different person and not the one who posted the question.

My query is -

what is the difference between permanant and sole custody? and to change the name of the child fathers NOC is required or the above procedure can be done independantly.

thats it

thanking you

Rakesh (ac)     16 March 2010

Dear Member, I changed my name for passport by executing deed poll affidavit and publishing in two reputed newspapers in 2007 april (Mumbai). But did not put the same in gazette as i was not aware of the same. I would like to put the same now. What are the problems i may face. Please advice me

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register