LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

tsankaran (n/a)     30 May 2011

Mediclaim - Nomination

My mother had a mediclaim insurance policy for the last 11 years with National Insurance - no claims since inception.  In April 2011 she was hospitalized for five days for breathing problem and the claim was submitted to their third Party Administratory TTK Healthcare.  Again she was hospitalized on May 28 due to multiple cardiac arrests and she breathed her last on 15th May.  In the mediclaim policy for the last 11 years there was no provision to give a nomination and as such nomination was not recorded.  The first claim got approved.  However, we had informed the TPA about the death and the 2nd claim still to be submitted.  However, TPA said they need a nomination certificate to release the cheque for the first claim and then the nomination certificate to be attached with the 2nd claim.  They said the Panchayat will issue a nomination certificate.  However, Panchayat is unaware of  such a procedure.  Is an affidavit signed by myself and my brother apponting our father as the nominee would suffice.  The legal heirs are only our father, myself and my brother.  There are nobody else.  So my question is if an affidavit signed by myself and my brother nominating our father as the nominee to receive the medical claims from the TPA is sufficient.  The affidavit can be notirized. Please advise.

Learning

1 Replies

R.R. KRISHNAA (Legal Manager)     30 May 2011

Dear Mr. Sankaran

I am not sure of why an affidavit is necessary in this situation.  But if the insurance staff insist for a affidavit you may submit the same.  In the absence of a nominee,  the proceeds of the insurance must directly go to the legal heirs only.  In my opinion a legal heirship certificate is sufficient for the recovery of the proceeds.   Let us wait for other replies.

Best regards.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register