Married women's right on ancestral property

My ancestral land and house is in Jharkhand. I also belong to the backward community. The khaitan, or the land records of block office are in the name of my father's grandfather. My Father and grandfathers are dead. My father was the only son with five sisters. All the sisters were married before 1985. We don't want to sell the property, however my paternal aunts (sisters of deceased father) are selling the property secretively. Deciding a title suit in Jharkhand may take  about 15-20 years. My mother and sisters don't want any share in the ancestral property, I wish to know the if my father's sisters are entitled to the property, and what are the civil and criminal remedies I have if other sell my share of ancestral property? 


If the property is still in the name of your great-grand-father,as the land was not partitioned till 2005,when women were given equal rights in property,they can ask for partition now & they can get their 1/6 share,considering your grand-father was only child of his father.


Thank you so much for your response, however, I still wish to know the recource I have in terms of taking legal action aginst people who are selling my property. I think this could prove to be a god detterance


You can ask for partition.

file a civil suit for partition.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


  Search Forum



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Forensics & Evidence     |    x