Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

cyberca (TAX CONSULTANT)     06 May 2009

ISSUING OF DUPLICATE TDS CERTIFICATE

Dear All,

Can I issue a duplicate tds certificate in FORM NO. 16A.?  The original one is lost by the party.  If yes what procedure is suppose to follow and also let me know the details of I.T. Act / Rule

Regards,

Learning

7 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     06 May 2009

Duplicate 16A can be issued on the party furnishing an indeminity bond, so as to prevent misuse

The relevant extract of Rule 31 of the Income Tax Rules, 1962 is as follows:

“Rule 31. Certificate of tax deducted at source.

(4) Where in a case, the TDS certificate issued under this rule is lost, the person deducting tax at source may issue a duplicate certificate of deduction of tax at source on a plain paper giving necessary details as contained in Form No. 16 or Form No.16A, as the case may be.

(5) The Assessing Officer before giving credit for the tax deducted at source on the basis of duplicate certificate referred to in sub-rule (4), shall get the payment certified from the Assessing Officer designated in this behalf by the Chief Commissioner or the Commissioner and shall also obtain an Indemnity Bond from the assessee.”

Format of Duplicate TDS Certificate

(To be issued on letter head and not on Form 16A)

This is to Certify that our company has issued form 16 A vide serial No. __________ dt. _______ to M/s _____________ amounting to
Rs. ___________ under Section 203 of the Income tax Act, 1962.

The Details are as mentioned below:

Date of payment
/ credit
Amount paid
/credited
Amount of Income
tax Deducted
Rate at which
deducted
Date &
ChallanNo. of
deposit of

tax into Central
Govt. Accounts

Name of
the bankand branch
where taxdeposited

For XYZ Co. Ltd.

shashank (student)     23 September 2009

Originally posted by :cyberca
" Dear All,

Can I issue a duplicate tds certificate in FORM NO. 16A.?  The original one is lost by the party.  If yes what procedure is suppose to follow and also let me know the details of I.T. Act / Rule

Regards,

"

A.P.Manoranjan (ADVOCATES & LEGAL ADVISORS)     25 October 2009

Mr.A.V.Vishal has sent the answer above to your quierry.

ashish somani (self)     13 November 2009

Mr.A.V.Vishal has sent the answer above to u quierry

but iske liye partiy jise tds issue hota he uske pass pruf  hona chaiye

Rajesh (Director Finance)     21 November 2009

Nowdays even if you issue a duplicate TDS certificate, tax authorities will not accept it as all the returns filed are electronic. So whats the point in issuing the same.

Rajesh

Rajesh (Director Finance)     21 November 2009

Just give him the challan number and the date and the electronic serial number. Thats it.

Rajesh

Vineet (Director)     21 November 2009

Mr Vishal has already given a comprehensive reply.

However now a days, credit of TDS is available only if the details furnished by tax deductor matches with the claiment on TIN. Hence TDS certificate loses its importance if you have TAN details of deductor and the deductor has filed his TDS return with correct details.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register