LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ragne (mtu)     30 October 2009

Is temple marriage valid

If two people marry in Hindi temple, nobody asked for papers if they married or not and one of them is not hindi. Is this legal marriage and can I accuse the other party in bigamy if I have picture them sitting in temple or do I need some more evidence to prove their marriage and file for divorce and make criminal case based on that 

Learning

10 Replies

Arul Kumar (Legal Consultant & Professor at Law)     30 October 2009

You mean Hindu Temple? If the marriage to be recognized one under Hindu Marriage Act, both the party to the marriage should be Hindu. If either of the party is non-hindu, then such marriage under Hindu Marriage Act is invalid.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     30 October 2009

rituals of marriage viz. saptpadi etc. is necessary and other conditions for a valid marriage under hindu marriage act must be fulfilled, otherwise, the marriage is not valid.

Vedaa Mirazkar (98457 02459) (Lawyer)     30 October 2009

Mr.Ragne, your question is not clear. You are stating hindu temple marriage + one party not hindu + accusing of bigamy + divorce etc. etc.  However, for a temple marriage to be valid, requisites are that all rituals of hindu marriage, that is, saptapadi, mangalsutra, sindhoor etc. has to be performed and pictures taken.  Even if there exists no documents/evidence, these pictures will suffice for validity.  Please post your further queries, if any.

(Guest)

Dr.Tripati ji have given good explanation. In Hindu Temples also marriage certificate will be issued. That is evidence that couple were married according Hindu rituals.

jitesh (job)     03 November 2009

If marriage certificate is issued but no rituals has been performed. There is no evidence apart from tempel marriage certificate. Still we consider such marriage as marriage performed by Hindu marriage act.

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     01 March 2010

Which temples issue marriage certificate? Is it under some format legally recognised?

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     01 March 2010

BETTER ask the man what is the matter. showing anger will not fulfil your desire

Arup Kumar Gupta, Korba, Chattishgarh ((m)9893058429)     01 March 2010

what you told are not the proof of a legaly valid marriage. bigamy or divorce will not stand on this.

naives (Manager)     02 March 2015

Most Indian Marriages automatically come under Hindu Marriage Act so best to Consult with a lawyer on this as upto now even Gurdwara marriage was taken Hindu Marriage Act with or without certificate.

One picture of them sitting together in temple doesn't mean anything as far I understand...There must have been a priest doing 'Ferey'...best ask a legal professional.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     21 March 2015

please be specific to the facts on the problem faced by you.

query is vague.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register