Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shree. ( Advocate.)     13 December 2008

Indian cricket team should not tour Pakistan!!!

Gill says Indian cricket team should not tour Pakistan!!!

New Delhi, Dec 12: Union sports minister M.S. Gill said Friday the Indian cricket team should not tour Pakistan for the series next month.The tour has been in serious doubts after last month’s Mumbai attacks. Investigations have revealed that the perpetrators were of Pakistani origin and were allegedly trained in Pakistan which has strained the ties between the two neighbours.
Gill said it was not the right time to play cricket with Pakistan when “people from their soil were indulging in mass murder in India”.
“Is it possible for one team to arrive in Mumbai and indulge in mass murder, and have another team go and play cricket in the winter afternoon sun at Lahore,” he said.
Gill also said that sporting contacts are meant to enhance friendship between human beings.
“It requires those in authority in Pakistan to give a clear indication, satisfactory to the world, of doing everything possible to prevent such murderous incursions, and to root out the basis of it all,” Gill said.
Gill also said that money should not be a factor in deciding the fate of the series.
“I have played cricket. I know the spirit of cricket. Cricket is not commerce,” he said.
The Indian team is scheduled to play five one-dayers, three Tests and one Twenty20 International during the tour starting Jan 6.

If so what are your views?

Learning

11 Replies

Kalpana.S (-)     13 December 2008

“Is it possible for one team to arrive in Mumbai and indulge in mass murder, and have another team go and play cricket in the winter afternoon sun at Lahore,” 

I subscribe to this view of Mr.Gill.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     13 December 2008

I dont agree to that: Let us differentiate between Cricket and Terrorist. Our Indian Cricket team should play cricket in Pakistan and show them we Indians are Peace loving people.

Rekha..... ( Practicing lawyer(B.Com LL.M in Business law ))     13 December 2008

Dear All members 

Pl. forgive me again and allow me to Say that:

What v r calling as “ Indian Cricket Team”. In this I see Nation is First and Cricket team is somewhere else. Whole Our Nation is totally involved. Actually Cricketers should themselves come forward to say “NO” for this tour. If not I will call them “Personal Profit Making Team”. Can’t Parliament held immediate session to pass the resolution against Pakistan “ No to every thing”. V r not going to loose if Cricket Team is not going to Pakistan. But if, they go our self respect and dignity will spoil forever and morale of the Security Forces will go down.

R u ready to write the Criket Team to say “NO tour to Pakistan”

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     14 December 2008

Dear Rekha Ji,

We India have shown to the world that if someone hit  your cheeck  on the right give your left cheeck to be slap again. So cool it. Bombay blast was a clear case of crime against humanity and India should have acted and give a beffiting reply to pakistan in time, but we have not done that, so let us not play that game of withdrawing music or sports team etc. India has taken the path of Peace and I see music,sports and culture etc as Peace making process.

I know that not all muslim are terrorist but any attack on our Country's  sovereignity should be dealt with an iron hand but we have taken the course of Peace, so let us go ahead with that mechanism. In today's world we can not indulged in Ahimsa Diplomacy or even what the religion teaches us. There are time for evrything under the heaven and we have to act in time.

Dear all OUR CRICKET TEAM should play in Pakistan. Withdrawing sports team or Music team etc is not a good diplomacy.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     14 December 2008

Dear Rekhaji,

In support of your views I include some more points too.

Parents have lost their children, children have lost their parents, brothers have lost their sisters and sisters have lost their brothers.

And we are supposed to worry about whether India is playing CRICKET with Pakistan.

Calling off the tour to a nation that has undeniable links to these attacks is the least the Indian Govt can do to respect the families who have lost their loved ones.....

Ask the dad of Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan of NSG about whether India should play Cricket with a country which is directly/indirectly responsible for his son's demise at such a young age.

May God provide solace and strength to the ones the departed left behind.
Not only Cricket, but all ties with Pakistan also need to be stopped immediately. INDIA MUST DECLARE PAKISTAN A TERRORIST NATION ON ITS OWN, INDIA MUST TAKE A LEAD ROLE. I AM ONLY AFRAID OF THE CURRENT IMPOTENT ULTRA SECULAR GOVERNMENT IF MUMBAI KILLING STILL IS NOT BLEEDING THEM ENOUGH.

Dear Assumi Sir,

Looking forward your views and come to conclusion wheather India Team should go or not?

What feelings they have towards India and Indian people has been show to India by that 10 youths of Pakistan.They are the true picture of Pakistan and how they look at India.I wish government allows the cricket team to play in Pakistan in Jan. And LeT blows whole cricket team...then we will again send a team within a year to improve our relations. Why the hell we need a good relationship with Pakistan? Isreal is progresing with enemies all around its country.China is progressive without having kiss me relationship with its neighbours.If your talk of trade they who are the most benefitted from trade between the two countries..its Pakistan. If you talk about cricket...its PCB who needs money not BCCI.If you talk about culture sharing..its their singers,actors come to India and not vice versa.

If we cannot save our people in our own borders. How can you send them to the origin of terror?

Expecting your views.

Rds,

Shree.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     14 December 2008

Yes, Shree Ji, I agree with you, but our foreign policy  with Pakistan is something like an Incest. And our Government can can not take any actions, even if all those Cricket team are eliminated in Pakistan it will adhere to Ahimsa and will keep on singing the song you can kiss me on monday,tuesday etc but not on sunday.

Shree Ji, it is now too late to take any actions so let us show to the world that we Indians are peace loving nation as our foreign policy can not blow hot and blow cold.

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     14 December 2008

I agree with Rekha , but i go further. Why pakistan , why not anywhere? Why are we using the term Indian cricket team, when we know that the players play not for the country  but only for themselves. ? For how long will the people be fooled especially when so much news about match rigging is seen.

It is a useless game and criminal waste of time. With all our problems , can a nation afford 8 manhours wasted watching a game , which will not profit the watcher in any way. Instead of watching the game and getting exhilarated on one run or out , i suggest the people - get involved with real day problems. How to make ends meet. How to solve the domestic problems. etc. On one side , they show complete disinterest to the hard working father/mother/wife/daughter and laze the time and on the other they show elation on a ball hitting a bat. COME DOWN TO BASICS. WHAT IS IT BUT A BALL , AND WOODEN STICKS. HOW DOES IT IN ANY WAY SOLVE THE IMMEDIATE REAL PROBLEMS?

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     15 December 2008

Dear All,

Are we discussing our country's foreign policy or cricket bussiness?

Rajan Salvi (Lawyer)     15 December 2008

With hundreds dying of hunger, thousands living on reservation policy, lakhs living on subsidy, crores living in a abysmal existance ----- a nation cannot afford to waste 8Xcrores manhours wasting time watching a silly game. If the same time was utilised for upbuilding of nation, gathering of knowledge thus raising overall perception, the quality of people's representatives would increase --- thus affecting the public/foriegn policy. Cricket is an energy sapper with only the players, media and advertiseres and BCCi benefiting. It is a shame it is tied with foriegn policy.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     19 December 2008

India's tour of Pakistan called off

India's cricket tour of Pakistan was officially called off on Thursday, with the government refusing the team permission to travel across the border in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks..

The government's decision was conveyed to Board of Control for Cricket in India president Shashank Manohar through a letter, which cited "recent developments as well as the overall circumstances prevailing at present" as the reasons for calling off the high-profile tour.

"The final decision has been taken. We have got the letter from the Sports Ministry and the Ministry of External Affairs not to proceed with the tour", said senior BCCI official Rajeev Shukla.

"The government has declined permission to go ahead with the tour taking into account the recent developments in Mumbai as well as the overall circumstances prevailing at present", Shukla added.

He said External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Sports Minister M S Gill also personally called up Monohar to convey the decision.

India were scheduled to play three Tests, five one-dayers and a Twenty20  match during their tour of Pakistan from January 4 to February 28, but the tour was thrown into jeopardy in the aftermath of the Mumbai terror attacks 

The BCCI had all along maintained that it was up to the government to decide on the fate of the tour.

"Now that we have received the letter, we will intimate it to the Pakistan Cricket Board," Shukla said.

There was intense speculation that the tour will be called off in the aftermath of the Mumbai carnage and top BCCI officials had privately admitted that there was no chance that the team will travel to Pakistan.

Even Sports Minister Gill had gone on record  last week saying the team should not tour Pakistan under the circumstances, which was seen as a clear indication of things to come.

Even before the Mumbai carnage, some senior Indian cricketers were apprehensive of travelling to Pakistan because of the security scenario in the strife-torn country.

The cancellation of the tour has not only put a question mark on sporting ties between the two countries but will also have a bearing on the 2011 Cricket World Cup being jointly hosted by the four Asian countries.

Pakistan was keen to play the series at a neutral venue in case the tour was cancelled but the BCCI said it hasn't taken a decision on such a possibility.

BCCI's Chief Administrative Officer Ratnakar Shetty said the government's decision will not have any impact on the 2011 World Cup.

"It will not affect the 2011 World Cup, that's a different tournament," he said.

"We'd written to the government about the tour and we've just got the letter from the government that in the present circumstances the tour is not possible.

Asked if it was because of the fact that senior players were not ready to play in Pakistan, Shetty said, "I am not ready to comment on that. It was upto the government to decide and it was not for the BCCI to decide.

Shetty did not feel it would create an uncomfortable atmosphere for the BCCI and PCB.

"No, I don't think so. PCB is aware of whatever is happening at the moment."

He said there was no discussion on the two teams playing the series at a neutral venue.

"We've not discussed anything on this," he said and added there would be "no tour to replace the Pakistan series".

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     15 February 2009

I don't agree with Gill. As a trading nation we should send our team to Pakistan to make money. It is altogether a different matter that our jawans continue to face Pakistani bullets. Bullets or no bullets, money will flow into the coffers of BCCI.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register