Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Immovable property registration stamp duty in tamil nadu

Dear Sir / madam

I want to know what is the  rate of stamp duty for immovable property registration in the state of Tamil Nadu, Please, I need details of notification of TN govt. - please, is the rate increased recently? please confirm.

Learning

3 Replies

J.PRAVEEN KUMAR (Advocate Madras High Court)     14 August 2011

Sankar,

It is 8% of the value of the property (Stamp Duty)  plus 1 % Registration Charges for Immovable properties,  through SALE DEED....

Property buyer (software programmer)     28 January 2013

Hello,

I am planning to purchase a new house (land + house constructed in it) in coimbatore. The total cost is 48,50,000Rs (Land value is 18,00,000Rs + building construction- 30,50,000). While we started discussing about registering, we were told that both the land and the building should be registered? Is this a new government law? 

Please advise on what the cost of the registration would be in my case. 

The builder told us the other buyers in the colony had to register only the land & hence the cost of registration was only based on the land value which is 18 lakhs. On the other hand the bank representative says both land and the building value should be registered to get the loan sanctioned.

Please provide clarity on the law/rules for registration for my case. Would be thankful for any advice on this.

Thank you!

Krishnan Venkatachalam (Legal professional)     03 February 2013

Dear Property buyer,

In Tamil Nadu for first sale ( New Constructions) of house or flat, you have to pay stamp duty only for the value of the land only ( undivided share in the case of flat). The stamp duty is 7% on the sale value registered and the Registration charges are 1% of the sale value. Hence your builder is right.  

For the construction of the building you have to enter in to a seperate construction or builder's agreement with the builder incorporating your requirements, for eg., constructed area, payment details, construction specifications, period of completion of construction and handing over , other facilities like carparking etc., In Tamil Nadu for the first sale, registration of building is not mandatory. For the subsequent sale registration of land & building is mandatory. Please ensure that your construction agreement is dated prior to the date of completion of the construction of the building.

However in other states like Karnataka and Maharashtra there is a practice of registration of both land and building.

With regards,

V. Krishnan

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register