Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

suvrojit roy (no)     08 May 2011

Help (Career Guidance)

Hello,

I am a graduate fresher with Chemistry(Hons.) I am very keen to build my career in intellectual property field, particularly in patents and copyrights. What kind of courses I should do. Are there any paralegal training courses which can enable me to get a job in this field without being a lawyer? I know about patent agent exam and trademark agent exam, but how can I get into copyright sector? I am a creative person myself with music, lyrics and stories to my credit and I would very much like to be a part of the copyright industry. Any idea(s) on how I should proceed?

Thanks.

Learning

8 Replies

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     08 May 2011

To be a patent agent you have to pass the exam conducted for that purpose. But to be a TM and copyright agent there are no exams. But you have to have sufficient knowledge regarding the same. A PG diploma in IPR would help. Other than that, it is better to be an advocate to carry on this work as he/she has to file affidavits at registry and argue for objections. 

Finally for carrying out the IPR work, there is no need to be creative ourselves. We have to know the basics of IPR subject at least.

prasanta kumar parida (sr. consultant)     08 May 2011

PLZ. ASK THIS QUESTION TO AN EXPERT ON CAREER GUIDANCE. AN EXPERT IN LAW CAN NOT HELP YOU

Suchitra. S (Advocate)     08 May 2011

IPR is a field covered under law and it is only advocates who deal with those matters. Question is quite relevant under this forum and under this portal too.

sachin verma (lawyer)     08 May 2011

well according to me, a pg dipoloma in ipr will help u....

P.R.SHUKLA (professional)     10 May 2011

you ,have to be an law graduate and plus a degree ain science gradute to be patent agent as required now by the amendment'hence pass law exam you can become trademark agent or join a firm or you start your bussiness as an trademark agent

suvrojit roy (no)     11 May 2011

I've seen that trademark rules 2002 in its section 150(iv) states that  a graduate of any university in India or someone possessing an equivalent qualification is qualified to be registered as trademark agents. And Indian patent law requires, as per my knowledge, at least a degree in science/technology to be eligible for patent agent examination. As I am a graduate in science, shouldn't that make me eligible for both the examinations?

parteek bathla (student)     14 May 2011

hi,

well,I am a law student and want to practice in intellactual property later.

would please somebody suggest me to get through this choastic situation,to become a better lawyer and earn well.

Regards,

Parteek bathla 

Summit Aggarwal (Ipr Lawyer(Trademarks Patents Designs and Copyrights))     15 May 2011

Hi

Yes Mr. Roy you shall give the Trademarks agent examination and Patent agent exams held by the respective departments of the IP office each year.

For any further questions you can visit my website:-  www.ipirindia.in or can contact me at contact@iprindia.in

Regards

Summit Aggarwal.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register