Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

dawood ahmed (advocate)     23 May 2010

DVC-ATTENDANCE OF RESPONDENTS ON EVERY DATE OF HEARING?

Hi all,

Is the attendance of the respondents i.e the husband and his other relatives necessary, unless dispensed with, on all dates of hearing as in criminal cases? Though it is no where specifically mentioned in the DV Act some courts are insisting the same and asking for filing 317 CrPC petitions in case of absence of the respondent/respondents. What I feel the initial proceedings under the DV Act are civil in nature and only after the disobedience of any order passed there in the further proceedings turn out to be criminal and in that event the court can be justified to insist upon tje presence of the respondent concerned. Please convey your ideas in this regard. Thanks with regards.

Learning

3 Replies

Gundlapallis (Advocate)     24 May 2010

Yes a valid debatable question.  You are right to the extent that the DV Act is quasi civil and quasi criminal in nature.  However, since the trial is being undertaken by a criminal court the criminal court procedures shall apply for the respondent and his absence shall be notified to the court in form of petition though there is no prescripttion for issue of warrant for his uninformed absence. 

Pankaj Mehta (Advocate)     10 June 2010

truly said Mr.prabhakar, I came across with the same problem in the trial courts & filed exemption application for the respondents, A direction for lower courts in this matter is really needed. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register