LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     20 May 2012

Divorced woman to get 50% share in husband’s property

For the first time in the history of marriage laws in India, women and children have been given definite rights in the residential property of men in the event of a divorce.

Taking up amendments to the Marriage Laws Amendment Bill, 2010, pending for discussion in the Rajya Sabha, where it was introduced last week, the Cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today decided to make a clear provision in the law that an equal share (50 pc) in the residential property of a man will go to his wife and children in case of a divorce. The wife will have to move an application seeking the share.

Women and children will have an equal right in the residential property acquired by a man, whether acquired before or after the marriage, as the Cabinet today omitted from the Amendment Bill the expression “property acquired during the subsistence of marriage”.

The old Bill gave divorced women a right in man’s property, but did not state the quantum. Women activists felt stating the quantum would ensure justice to women who have to take care of their children and provide for them.

Not just that, the Cabinet further amended the Bill granting women and children rights in the movable assets of the man in case of a divorce. Instead of fixing the quantum of share of women and children in movable assets, the Cabinet decided to let the courts of law decide the share, depending on the “living standard of the wife”.

The relevant amendment in the Bill reads, “Pay such gross sum or share of movable property towards settlement of claim of wife as the courts deem fit considering the living standard of the wife”.

In another important development, the Cabinet today amended the Bill to ensure that the six-month cooling-off period (which couples need to spend together before moving the joint motion for a divorce) would be reduced only if both the man and the woman concerned move an application to lessen it.

The amendment has been made following demands from women rights activists who said a man could force a divorce on a wife if the application for reducing the cooling-off period is not mandated to be moved by both parties. In the earlier Bill, one of the two could move such an application.

The amendments follow an assurance from Law Minister Salman Khurshid, who deferred his reply to discussion on the Bill in the Rajya Sabha where several MPs had raised these concerns and sought that the Bill be made woman-friendly.

WHAT THEY GET

Woman and children will have 50% share in the residential property of a man in case of a divorce.  The wife will have to move an application seeking the share in such cases. It will not matter whether the property was acquired before or after the marriage. Women and children will also have right in the movable assets of the man. The quantum of share in such cases will be determined by the court'

Learning

29 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     20 May 2012

nice 

(Guest)

very bad law.

I am separated from wife since threaa years......i was having friendship with a girl after marriage ,wife come to know about that and misbehaved the girl very much.i was angry so decided to marry the girl and divorce wife,my wife came to know and filed 489a and dv and living my new house with dv.

now how shoild i proceed and get divorce from wife under this scensrio. and how to save the property from her.I have 2 girls 10 years and 7 years old.

i not want to live with this wife who let my affair know to the world and fights with me with this girlfriend issue.

pinto (sec)     20 May 2012

Thats fair,

but what about those wives who already got a divorce before this ammendment bill?

can they still fmove an application for a 50% right on the property of the husband specially if that was acquired after marriage?

As its not fair for those who lost this right? this is where justice is denied.

bhima balla (none)     20 May 2012

If the idea of the government is to indirectly 'save' marriages and preventing divorces-which is occuring at an alarming rate, especially in cities-then it will be a failure.

1) Men will be apprehensive about marriage.

2) Wife/ DIL will be a great danger because nothing is provided in the law that would make her behaviour a consideration. The 'blank cheque given to wives will obviously be exploited. This law is bad in letter and spirit. there is no justification. Going by the vote bank politics and parties falling over each other to prove their 'pro women' credentials-it is not surprising if the actual law would be far worse.

Will there be a slew of divorces and 'settlements'? This will be a lottery for the 'advocates'? No offence!

Originally posted by :gulab basu
"
very bad law.

I am separated from wife since threaa years......i was having friendship with a girl after marriage ,wife come to know about that and misbehaved the girl very much.i was angry so decided to marry the girl and divorce wife,my wife came to know and filed 489a and dv and living my new house with dv.

now how shoild i proceed and get divorce from wife under this scensrio. and how to save the property from her.I have 2 girls 10 years and 7 years old.

i not want to live with this wife who let my affair know to the world and fights with me with this girlfriend issue.
"

This is pathetic. In this case the wife should get your entire property, kids and the court should convict you so you have three years to think in jail!

Oops I didn't count adultery-may be 10 years must do it!

(Guest)

Bhima, 

please tell me if there is any legal remedy tio get rid of such wife.I thought She was a dumb untill she came to know my affair.When she came to know about it, she became ferocious.One day she called my girlfriend and scolded with foul language in front of me.I am a well established businessmean.Though I had a love marriage with my wife and she helped me a lot in getting established.Now I ghave lots of money and can maintain a girl friend well, but my wife does not understand anything and fights with me.

I just  dont want to live with her.Tell me legal remedy.

Avnish Kaur (Consultant)     21 May 2012

MARRIAGES WILL STOP NOW ONWARDS , HIRING PROS... WILL BE CHEAPER

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     21 May 2012

Originally posted by :Avnish Kaur

"

MARRIAGES WILL STOP NOW ONWARDS, HIRING PROS... WILL BE CHEAPER

"

1. I somehow agree to your first 4 words. However it (marriages happening) will not stop but complete top – bottom checkup of status will be call of the day by either parties for a simple reason people may leave a wife when in dis-harmony but not their properties at any cost as properties gives more returns while aging.  Re-read this para to understand what I am saying.
Well it just took under 3 years to bring “residence rights” case before Hon'ble SC (re. Batra) in lifespan of just 6 years of DV Act existence (Gazette Notification) before us. So my forecast is that it will now under 1 year post this HMA Amendment 2010 Gazette Notification all these question on property by way of "clarity" via an SLP will be before SC.
3. Now allow me to cast my doubt on your last 5 words because no male world over prefers shot glasses - it is too feminine a Fbar party potion
J

4. Live - in with some sort of Contract between intending guys i.e. economics of arrangements is going to be call of life in metros and for rural folks my guess is girls dowry rate will shoot up because on an average rural populace have more ancestral land holding compared to metro guys and intending rural hubby will also not like to part with 50% share at the end of the day so some more security he will claim beforehand being novice to games we play in metros. You need to re-read this para to actually understand what I am saying.

bhima balla (none)     21 May 2012

Wonder if crime against women may increase? A man who has worked hard, who is nurturing and supporting is the one who will be taken to the cleaners by a conniving, cheating criminal wife-who as per this draft- will enjoy 50% of what he has, with no questions asked! How long would men take this? In a semblance of political correctness may be men will shut up and put up for as long as they can. But the backlash in my opinion could be severe.

Marriages will decline over the years.

A man is:

1) deprived of his children

2) he and his family are put through enormous agony.

3) Now his earnings and property -worked on for years will be confiscated. Even if the wife is bad and treated everyone like dirt.

What is there in a marriage?

Hiring surrogates, sperm bank, Live ins, changing women every so often-(lest nature of marriage rule kicks in) may be common.

Every woman (except the family) will be viewed with suspicion. It will be a paranoid society.

Of course there will be some marriages:

1) Husband and wife are perfectly compatible.

2) husband and family are like slaves to the girl and their family.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register