LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

V.K.Deshpande (Agriculture)     17 December 2009

Daughters' right to father's ancestral property

My brother has One son and four daughets,all married, before his death.The only son insisted on partiton of their immovable ancestral  properties of the family,when both parents were alive.Accordingly,my brother made a partition deed(unregistered,but acted upon by revenue dept).,giving away 1/3 rd share to the son.The remaining 2/3 rd share was with my brother and his wife.Daughters were not given any share,as they were all married.(1983).Both my brother and his wife died intestate,without assigning their properties to anyone.Now the son is claiming the entire property.,and is not willing to give any share to the sisters who are also legal heirs.

What is the right of daughters in this case ?

Learning

4 Replies

(Guest)

As father  and mother are dead now the daughter will have share in their ( father & mother) share. The present case is governed by  provisions of old Hindu Law, that is prior to amendment ,.To calculate share, 2/3 rd will be divided equally amongst son and daughters. Daughters have right to file suit  for partition of 2/3rd share.

Anish goyal (Advocate)     17 December 2009

Agree with pallavi

P.K.Haridasan (Advocate)     18 December 2009

Daughters will have equal rights like son in the ancestral property of their parents

ramesh vyas (M.D)     19 December 2009

can illegtimate son claim share in ancestral property. how can i get latest high court and supreme court judgements in this regard. suggest some judgement books.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register