LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ananya (Manager)     07 February 2010

CHEATED BY AN ACQUAINTENCE

I don't know whether such discussions are welcomed on this forum but recently one of my frnd and her family was cheated by one of their acquaintance. I am putting the point wise details below. Pls. advice whether any legal action can be taken for the systematic fraud done by an influential family:
1. Few days back my frnd’s mother got a call from their Acquaintance Mr. & Mrs. X  that they have an alliance for my frnd. The boy is the country head of an MNC and has good links in govt. of India as well. He is good looking has sound financial position. They asked my frnds age and her mother told she is 23 yrs and will be writing her CA final exam soon, in turn the boys age was told to be 28 yrs.
2. my frnds family send her biodata and picture to the boys father’s id and asked for the boy’s biodata for matching kundli etc.
3. Mr. X called back and said that they don't believe in Kundli etc. and asked my frnd’s parents to come and see the boy in their house at Delhi.
4. Again & again Mr & Mrs. X insisted on meeting the boy. The said boy was actually an acquaintance of Mr. X's son in law Mr. Y was is in IAS allied services and was last posted in the home town of the boy.
5. My frnd’s family tried finding abt the boy background in his home town but since he is mostly out of the town they could after a lot of effort find out that MR & Mrs. X along with their daughter and son-in-law were befooling my frnd’s family and the boy was actually 8 years elder to my frnd.
6. Ever since then my frnd is shocked since as a goodwill gesture my frnd has been doing free income tax consultancy of Mr & Mrs, X their son and daughter in law and also their daughter and son -in-law but in return all these ppl collectively tried to do a fraud with her and ruin her life.
Can my frnd take any legal action for this fraud?
Mr. X still doesn't that his fraud has been exposed, so my frnd is wondering if she forgives them the next these crocodiles come before her what kind of behavior wud be appropriate for them? Pls. share your valuable views.

Learning

3 Replies

vijayan (lawyer)     07 February 2010

I am not understanding what is the matter to worry in this case. Your friend's aquaintence given an offer to your friend.Your friend is not expected to accept the offer since she believes in kundly but the boy  not. Even then your friend proceeded.it was correct and better from your friend's part in enquiring further about the boy. On enquiry , it is revieled that thew boy is 3 years elder than the age stated by your nfriend's aquaintence. That may be a mistake or it will be what they heard from the boy.Then , your friend  has not proceeded further, since there is suppression of actual age of the boy from you. Can you say,and can you prove it is a willful act? They can deny it at any time. In your letter , it is clear that , there is no supprassion on any other matters said by the aquaintence of your friend. so no action will lie against the boy and it is better to forget about the offer of your frind's aquaintence.

A V Vishal (Advocate)     07 February 2010

When your friend is cheated why the gesture of goodwill by your friend unless she is interested in the boy herself, she can cut all the realtions when the matter has not gone forward, there is only a proposal but acceptance of the proposal is your wish. Hence I advise to be practical and stop doing all unwanted charity and be straigh foward with no if and buts.

Raj Kumar Makkad (Adv P & H High Court Chandigarh)     07 February 2010

The doubts raised by vishal have importance so those should be replied first.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register