Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

govind (engineer)     06 January 2011

Cash Paid Given to Brother For Business

Hi,

I have given 9 Lakh to my Brother by cash to give him opprotunity to start Business. Now We would like to know How Myself and my brother can show this amount in the income tax if required. Especially my Brother who has barrowed the cash would he be able to show the amount in his books.

Please give us some suggestions on this.

Thanks.

govind

Learning

3 Replies

Shayan Khan (B.com)     06 January 2011

As u have given the amount to your brother, that comes within the defination of relatives.

however, such receipts will be shown as Income from Other Sources and this is fully exempt u/s 56(2) and debit his cash a/c and credit the capital a/c accordingly.

You can debit your Capital Account by such amount. no effect in ITR.

govind (engineer)     07 January 2011

Hi Azim,

Happy NEw Year, Thanks for your reply. Is there any way he can make document of the cash has recieved and used already to purchase the material so that he can produce proof of cash barrowed from me in case there are any queries from the INcome Tax Department.

Also how do you suggest me to lend him money in future to avoid any queries from income tax for him. I am salary holder and do you see any complication in lending cash to my borhter.

Thanks

Govinda

Vineet (Director)     08 January 2011

Dear Govind, you are using word borrowed and not gift. It appears that you have given a cash loan and not gifted money to your brother which you expect to be refunded later.

Please note that receipt of loan in cash in excess of Rs 20,000/- is in violation of section 269SS of Income Tax Act. If your brother shows this cash loan in books, he is liable to be penalised u/s 271D of the Act by way of penalty of Rs 9 Lakhs.

In future don't lend him a single penny in cash as it will again be violation and liable to be penalised by sum of identical amount.

The money given to brother so far can be shown as cash gift by you to your brother as the same will neither attaract any tax or penalty. However, by acknowledging gift, you will lose any right to recover this sum back.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register