LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Article on abuse by inlaws during pregnancy

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yVUBiTEHgUEJ:www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100816114829.htm+articles+on+indian+inlaws&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=in

ScienceDaily (Aug. 16, 2010) — Physical abuse and maltreatment by in-laws is not uncommon among pregnant and postpartum women in India, and may be compromising maternal and child health, according to a new study led by a Boston University School of Public Health (BUSPH) researcher.

The study by a multi-institutional team led by Anita Raj, professor of community health sciences at BUSPH -- published online this month in the Maternal and Child Health Journal -- found that more than one in four women study participants in the low-income Mumbai community reported violence or other forms of maltreatment from in-laws during pregnancy or after giving birth.

Such abuse, which ranged from denial of food to impeded access to medical care, was significantly more likely among women who also experienced violence from their husbands, the study found.

"Findings from this study clearly document the high prevalence of in-law abuse both in pregnancy and postpartum and more importantly, the striking relationship between perinatal in-law abuse and [intimate partner violence]" by husbands, the authors wrote. "These findings have critical implications for perinatal [intimate partner violence] prevention and intervention efforts with South Asian women and in cultural contexts where extended families form an important social unit."

The study involved in-depth interviews with women in Mumbai to gauge the prevalence of physical and non-physical abuse by in-laws and husbands during pregnancy and after giving birth. Among the forms of abuse by in-laws that women described was verbal humiliation, impeding access to health care, and denial of food during pregnancy. While rates of physical abuse were relatively low, 20 percent of women reported that in-laws had insulted them or their families in front of others during their pregnancies. Some women also reported that in-laws pressured them to become pregnant, made decisions regarding the timing of conception or abortion, and dictated who would care for the child.

In one interview included in the study, a 17-year-old Muslim woman says her in-laws "want a boy child, and as you know, I delivered [a] girl child. My sister-in-law has some uterus problems, so she is unable to conceive a child. Now my in-laws want me to deliver another child [a boy] and give the girl to my sister-in-law."

The study authors said the link between husband abuse and mistreatment by in-laws had important implications for prevention and intervention efforts for South Asian women, in a culture where social units are built around extended families.

"Evidence from this and other studies demonstrates the need to screen and address abuse from in-laws among pregnant and postpartum populations, and indicate that screening for in-law abuse also will likely improve the detection of [abuse by husbands]," the study says.

The authors also pushed for broader changes in social policy "to promote gender equitable attitudes and norms" and to improve the status of women.

Raj has done extensive research on child marriage and domestic violence in India. Her co-authors on the study include: Shagun Sabarwal and Jay G. Silverman, of Harvard School of Public Health; Michele R. Decker, of Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health; Saritha Nair, Meghna Jethva and Balaiah Donta, of the Indian Council of Medical Research in Mumbai, India; Suneeta Krishnan, of the Women's Global Health Imperative, RTI International, and the Division of Epidemiology, University of California-Berkeley; and Niranjan Saggurti, of the Population Council, New Delhi, India.

The question that comes to my mind after reading this:  WHY DON'T WOMEN LIVE WITH THEIR OWN PARENTS DURING PREGNANCY,IN ORDER TO HAVE PPEACE ?

Learning

10 Replies

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     07 September 2010

PLEASE ALSO READ WITH  THE FOLLOWING,

Family Law > Woman kills children to elope with her lover    

(Guest)

@ arup

do u have basic intelligence?

do u know how to apply common sense?

how is  this article whose link u have given,related to abuse during pregnancy?

1 Like

(Guest)

aishwarya

not in my life or in my vicinity have seen a saas torturing a bahu in pregnancy. rather they are after her to take  nutrituos food , fruits and dryfruits to have a healty grandchild. surprising article posted above.

(Guest)

None of you got the point what the lady is trying to say !

1. If you do good for DIL during pregnency to have a healthy grandchild then it is covered under DV Act and since DV Act is clumsily drafted the "feminists" are building up each and every day-to-day routine of a pregnent spouse into it, to widen the scope of DV Act "allegations template parts" !

Now imagine a situation which we all (I mean both genders here) know quite well that the BIG GLASS OF BADAM MILK next to Victorian Bed for usage on first nite will very soon end up being "Article on abuse by inlaws during first night" Why because how can spouse have such a bl**dy BIG GLASS OF BADAM MILK since one spouse is having SIZE ZERO maintained figure !

We all have read the 498a / 125 CrPC and DVA Complaint Suits where the incidence are narrated starting with "RIGHT FROM  MY FIRST NIGHT NOT ONLY MY HUSBANDZ BUT MY INLAWS  FORCED ME TO BRING DOWRY AND OR TORTURED ME" So now replace "FORCED ME TO BRING DOWRY" to "FORCED ME TO DRINK ONE BLOODY BIG GLASS OF BADAM MILK" - to me this is really a torture to SIZE ZERO lady on first night.

Several readers may disagree but I will stick to my above take and infact started telling Petition Writers in District Courts to start using this FORMAT OF TEMPLATE COMPLAINTS henceforth otherwise how come 100's of complaints that I have read has this common sentence whereas all these ladies are from 1000's of kms. apart how can they come to same common wordings :-)

(Guest)

arun ji there is a direct correlation between impotence and greed. there was an article on lci few months back about it.

becoz they are impotent they drink milk and demand dowry from very first night.

even sc in a dowry case said its not possible for man to think about anything except s*x on first night.

(Guest)

@ d.arun kumar jee and ss

good way of diverting from the issue in hand,ie,this article on abuse during pregnancy....after all,this is ur style

1 Like

(Guest)

@ss

not in my life or in my vicinity have seen a saas torturing a bahu in pregnancy. rather they are after her to take  nutrituos food , fruits and dryfruits to have a healty grandchild.

y dont u also publish ur own survey reports that u have seen v.good care of all indian bahus during pregnancy during ur all india research.u can mention that this article is fake...& can also sue the people who published it and who gave these fake and false research reports

(Guest)

@ Aishwarya

I will right now speak for myself in reply to your above last message. I have no intention to "divert" any readers (oops authors) messages anywhere in any of the WWW forums. My take is in continuation to your message word "pregnency" for which I placed a take with suggestions to Petition Writers (now don't say here that feminists wants to control even petition writers too !).

Your Godfather and Godbrother here under family law comment whenever the so called "bhajan mandali" put a news item and / or restrictive citation of some of the HC's, that these items are "one such incidence and not happening pan India", whereas my various postings relates to both genders and fortunately there are more material available in various media formats today in this urban world which retrospect a "errant wife" than an agrieved husband so what I show here is that, the errant wife inspite of having in her kitty all 32 moves in a game of family law "chessboard" [see my next posting on chessboard today] still say they are a bala which to any prudent  person (read mind) is a hard take to digest. You have all the right to 100% disagree to all my posting and I will not mind bze I know there are prudent ld. members (read readers) who will agree to my postings (truth of both genders).

Now here is an ode to liven you up in the morning which I quote chalte chalte some "gupshup" on a lighter side;

Fact versus Opinions

Many times we create confusion when we add our own opinions to facts and come up with wrong conclusions.

For example
:

*FACT:* Two people are whispering when you walk up. Suddenly they stop talking.
*OPINION:* They must be gossiping about me.

*FACT:* A new lady is appointed in my department.
*OPINION:* They will ask me to leave !

*FACT:* He has reported about me to authorities.
*OPINION:* They will blacklist me. I am now ruined & finished!

Many a times we tend to behave negatively due to our own adverse opinions.

We feel people per se are hostile & unfriendly. We become anxious & fearful for no good reason in a situation which is relatively safe.

It is said: "Men are disturbed not by things that happen, but by their opinions of the things that happen."

Sounds familiar...eh? may be !

Kind regards "Aishwarya" as always

(Guest)

@ arun jee

i hv said in the past also i dont like to read v.long artcles that u post;and frankly most of the time i m unable to understand wot u r saying...

i just stated the research based article(as u hv often stated that my articles dont carry a referance link)

even then if u say that this article is fake and that women are treated like princesses in matrimonila hommes..i wont argue further.i admit that few sasurals are v.good and bahus are treated v.well.but in most saurals of india it's not true.........

u and ur team can continue arguing..and i will continue to stand up 4 wot i believe in

2 Like

(Guest)

@ Aishwarya

yehi to feminist melodrama hai yaha
(this is the feminists chuskibazi here) When you feminists post a article with no idea on its length and breadth just like this one and say Madhu Kishtwar one (which runs into 12 pages) then no issues and want readers to read it but when reader like me rebutt with tiny bit of humor into it then it goes for six and hands up in feminists camp....take a walk madam with your Ipod or face the same music with same tune...try to see both sides of coin.........

I appreciate all your efforts but "stand in the field" too after firing a tiny fly and even I don't read your long articles bze I have been already readinng these much before you can ever think of posting them that is the reason I am able to post rebuttals in seconds it becoming livethat also too the point of context to what you post without mixing it with other issues. You put pregnency issue for discussion you will get from me same issues rebutted from men's point of view.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register