LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kumar (ENGINEER)     05 December 2011

Adopting nephew

I am getting married in march, by then my newphew will be around 8months old.

In this situtation am I eligible to adopt him in next year?

If yes what is the procedure for that?

Thanks

Kumar.

Learning

6 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     22 January 2012

Raise this query in April. Don't make your and his life a suffering by hasty action.

(Guest)

What happens if you adopt him now?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     23 January 2012

Every newly married husband and wife has a right to expect unencumbered spouce.  His adoption at this stage, if not accepte by his future wive will certainly make ahell of his life as well as life of child. Huiman life is not for experimentation. Further even if she accepts then when he has a natural son (or even daughter) of his own he and his wife are bound to neglect this child whereas child will have reason to expect every affection. Why he has to adopt. This is unsusual behaviour for eleigible bachelor to adopt. Normally only childless couples adopt and society respects them. But unmarried person adopting carries a stigma. He has not stated why he has to adopt. If his brotehr and his wife are no more or too poor then why he cannot support the child without adoption.  His his brother and his wife are alive and well earning then why should he adopt.

Kumar (ENGINEER)     24 January 2012

I wondered to see replies after almost a month.

Well my nephew has born with cogenital disorder. He has to go thru lot of medical procedures in his life and my brother is not in a postion to afford them. 

As I am working in a MNC company which offer good medical benefits to my family i.e., spouse & children, So I thought of this., assuming same benefits will apply to adopted children also.

Anyway I am going to adopt him legally only, practically he is going to stay with my brother only.

Ok anyhow its a proposal only. I haven't decided yet.

Let me know your views on this.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 January 2012

Emotional step. Benevolent one. I expected such background. But on the face of it, it is not adoption as such just making convenience of law.  On the same anology as some persons just convert to islam not out of faith or vitures of tecahing of prophet, but only to justify bigamy.

Either way, you future wife may or may not like this (even if she temporarily agree to this now for the fear of losing a marriage proposal). She may accept it being sacrificing woman but for all times to come you have one successor in addition to your natural born children and you are not liked by children in the long run.

Human life canot be lead by shortcuts nor is a material for experiments.

(Guest)

@ Kumar

Understand the MNC medicalbenefit package, especially if you are working for Microsoft, Cisco, Google like companies. 

The very thought of helping a person who cannot afford the treatment of his child may be looked upon by your new wife and your in-laws as  noble and benevolent. They may have more respect for you. 

As long as the biological parents are taking care of the day to day and your role is that of  material support to save/prolong the childs life, I think it may be ok. If you get involved with the child so much so that your wife looks at this child as a interference, there may be issues and the negative blurb in the above posts may well become a reality. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register