Civil Procedure Code (CPC)

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anup Dey (Owner)     08 April 2011

12A and 80G Status for New NGO



We are a new NGO in Kolkata, West Bengal, India and just received our PAN Card for the organization.

Can anyone help me about the procedure, documents and fees required to apply for 12A and 80G statuses. Do we require to get a CA involved in this or we can apply directly to the regional income tax office. A suggestion for applying it directly will be of great help.


Your support and advice will be highly appreciated.




 7 Replies

A V Vishal (Advocate)     08 April 2011

Application for registration under section 12A and 80G can be applied just after registration of the NGO. Application for registration under section 12A and 8OG can be applied to the Commissioner of Income-tax (Exemption) having jurisdiction over the institution. Both applications can be applied together or it can also be applied separately also. If some organization is willing to apply both applications separately, then application for registration u/s 12A will be applied first. Getting 12A registration is must for applying application for registration u/s 80G of Income Tax Act.

Step-1: Dully filled-in application will be submitted to the exemption section of the lncome Tax Department.

Step-2: NGO will receive notice for clarifications from Income Tax Department in 2-3 months after applying.

Step-3: Reply of notice will be submitted by the NGO along with all relevant desired documents to the Income Tax Department.

Step-4: Representative of the NGO should personally visit the Income Tax Departments to follow-up the case on behalf of the organization.

Step-5: Exemption Certificates will be issued.

However, in best interests it is advisable to hire the services of a Chartered Accountant/Advocate who can do the needful.

1 Like

Anup Dey (Owner)     09 April 2011

Dear Mr. Vishal,


Thanks for your response and the invaluable information provided.


Best regards,


Aakash Verma (Designer)     10 August 2013

i agree on the process but the CA & other employee demanding hugh money for releasing the certification. IF

any one object on that then they cancel the file with any objection those Society not fulfill in future.

Please assist me.

Sunil Kumar
Zila Panipat Panchayt Prishad

Vallabh Parmar (Advocate)     15 August 2013

For purpse of registration us 12A of I T Act what is required is

1) Application for registation us 12A [available on site] in duplicte to be filed before concern CIT/DIT [exemption]

2)  Copy of Registered trust deed or registered  society along with by laws

3) Detail name and address of Two trustees 

4) Brief history and activity of NGO

As per law within180days from date of filing application CIT / DIT(E) will grant you registrtion us 12A of IT Act . If any further clarification or document is required by CIT/DIT  then period required for clarification or furnishingdocument is to be excluded from period of 180 days .

If your appliacation is rejected  on ground  of clarification or for non production of documents then you can apply afresh  by submiting fresh set of application and all documents .

Once  you apply for registration us 12A  then either simulteneously or seperately you can apply in duplicate before CIT/DIT  for   exemption us 80G of IT Act  

Last Three years P & L A/C and Balance sheets  if trust is already working/ functioning alond with auditors report 

Aakash Verma (Designer)     16 August 2013

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your attention. But as I ask in my last message is that the CA or other employee of the Department ask hugh money for register & issue the certificate for that. On that stage what we do that?

I have no money for increase the curruption. But without certification we cant do & increase our
work in society.

So please assist me that.

Sunil Kumar

Vallabh Parmar (Advocate)     31 August 2013

You can directly meet concern CIT  and provide all necessary documents and explain in detail activity of your trust and clarify  all his  queries ,You will get your registration us 12A and 80G  without any  difficulty.

GSB Taxation ( GSB Taxation is one of India's leading Business and Legal consultancy firm based in Delhi. It is a subsidiary of GSB Infotech Business Solutions.)     31 July 2019

80g Registration in Delhi


An NGO can avail income tax exemption by getting itself registered and complying with certain other formalities. Without 80G or 12A certificates, the NGO can not provide any benefit to the person making a donation under the 80G Act. The Income Tax Act 1961 has certain provisions which offer tax benefits to “Donors”.


All NGO’s should avail the advantages of these provisions to attract potential donors. One must register a company before registering for 12A and 80G licenses. Section 80G is one of such Section. If an NGO has 80G registration than the person or the organization making a donation to the NGO will get a deduction of 50% from his/her tax Income.


If an NGO, trust has 80G and 12A registration, only then it is eligible for any Government funding. A newly registered NGO can also apply for 12A & 80G registration online.

Visit Us for 80g Registration :

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query