LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kevin singh (Director)     16 March 2014

Lien amount on joint saving account with mother

Respected sir, recently we opened joint saving account in ICICI bank with my mother as my mother is Widow, 61 years old and her medical conditions are not good so she can not go bank every time, she make me primary holder of joint account even when we opened a/c my mother gave the cheque of 12500 for open account and all are money of my mother. Yesterday they lien all amount from our account they give me reason my credit card payment is due from last 8 yrs which i don't! I have all the medical reports of my mother is going under treatment. I have a question Can a joint bank account between a mother and son be levied by a Icici bank when only the son is the debtor? What are the RBI rules for lien amount for joint a/c and what should we do to get my mother money back? Pls reply

Learning

6 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     16 March 2014

8 years old  CC payment may be hopelessly time Barred. 

Show all docs and record to your lawyer.

Kevin singh (Director)     16 March 2014

Sir i talked with my lawyer he said i have to file case against bank in civil court and FIR in police. Would you pls tell me what is rbi guidelines of joint account for lien amount? What is the procedure to get money back?

icicibankcare (Bank)     20 March 2014

Dear Mr. Singh,

Please send us your contact details at care@icicibank.com and our official will get back to you soon to assist you. Kindly refer '46915739' in the subject line.

Regards,
ICICI Bank Customer Service Team. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 March 2014

If you have consulted your lawyer then your lawyer must have opined that amount being claimed by /s ICICI Bank and its employees is barred by time and that you can not be coerced/forced to pay it and enter into any kind of settlement with /s ICICI Bank and its employees.

You should prefer to transact in writing with M/s ICICI Bank and its employees and avoid telephonic discussions. Keep your lawyer and your elders, well wishers with you while you transact with M/s ICICI Bank and its employees, and record the transactions.

Your lawyer may opine to write MD and Chairperson of M/s ICICI Bank to make her a party  and demand that the amount being claimed is time barred and not due and payable by you, the bank should vacate the illegal lien marked at once and beg apology in writing.

As per suggestion of your lawyer file FIR and court case.

Proceed under the expert advice of your lawyer. The lawyer that has seen all of the docs and record and has analyzed the inputs can advice you the best.

M/s ICICI Bank as various publications seems to have been offending the citizens despite many penalties and punishments...................

You may find such threads relevant e.g;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Harrasment-by-icici-banks-recovery-agents-76271.asp#.UUc5U0pFZ_4

Kevin singh (Director)     23 March 2014

Respected sir, my mother have send well drafted complaint letter to branch manager still i did not get any response, and when i asked them to give me statment and details of credit card they told me it will take 10 days. Why they need 10Days to send me statement, if they did not di lien amount my mother will will compalint to head branch, Rbi, banking ombudsman for unnecessary harrasment.

Kevin singh (Director)     23 March 2014

I do not understand first of all credit card card was not joint with my mother, second it has been 7 yrs they did not make any contact with me if there was any due because i have settled it in 2007, and how can they lien amount in joint account as far as i know, Bankers Right Of General Lien is available on Goods and Securities under Section 170/171 of Indian Contract Act.This right is not available on Bank Deposits. However the right of set off is available on bank deposits ,Which right the bank may have exercised .However , the right of set off is not available in case of deposit in the joint accounts , for debit /loan in one of the depositor.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register