Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pranav (ACon)     21 February 2014

Threat of dowry case before marriage

Hi Lawyers Team,

First of all Let me congratulate you people on doing good job.

I need advise if you believe my parents are in trouble.

I met this girl on Matrimonial site and sent her a request. She accepted it and then her father met my father and advised him to first sent me to see the girl at her location which was in different city.

I went to her location and spent 2 hour with her. we took couple of photo together in broad day light in a shopping mall. Initially i kind of liked her but later realized she is not the one for me. 

Her father came to my house and offered some 6 lakh as dowry. My father never liked the girl and we did not respond to their calls.

Now after 2 week of no response from us, His father is threatening by saying to my father that girl and boy are ready as they took photo together but you are not allowing them to marry as you want dowry.

No Money has been transferred at all. However he has the photo where we were snapped together in a shopping mall.

Please advise me on the merit of the case and what can we do here.

Regards,

Pranav

Learning

6 Replies

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     21 February 2014

Pranav don't worry they cannot harm you nor your parents strictly refused them that you don't want to make relationship with them , if they threatens you record their call and make a police complaint against them , no need to afraid about your snaps together it does not prove any promises to marry her .

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     21 February 2014

file a complaint against them

Pranav (ACon)     21 February 2014

Thank you Laxmi and Nadeem for your prompt reply.

We are not looking to go in to legal trouble but will not hesitate if they threaten us.

However, what are my option if they go ahead and file a complaint.

1. Can a FIR be registered?

2. What shall we do if FIR is registered. Not even marriage date/ engagement date were discussed ever.

3. Will there be an arrest in this case?

I do not want even my father to spend a single minute in jail for no fault of his.

Regards,

Pranav

RAJIV BHASIN (ADVOCATE) (Bhasin Legal Consultants(SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES) bhasin.laws@yahoo.com 9811210505)     22 February 2014

Dear  Pranav,

As adviced to you please give a written complaint to the local police station. having photograph does not prove that you demanded dowry.

Rajiv Bhasin

Advocate

Bhasin Legal Consultants

SOLICITORS AND ADVOCATES

www.bhasinlegalconsultants.com

sandykrish (Interested in Family LAW)     22 February 2014

Dear Querist, No reason to be in state of the apprehension. Straight away file a case in P.S. citing harassment. On what basis FIR will be registered?? You have not married then where comes dowry. Let them say 100 odd things, your complaint will be registered as NC and police will warm them and logically the harassment should be stopped from them. If you fear nothing will happen my dear. Face the situation boldly when you know that you haven't any thing wrong

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 February 2014

@Pranav:  Yours is one case of getting trapped to the false passions.  A mere joint photograph no doubt cannot be sufficient to fetch you trouble, but do you  realize now that how far your curiosity and unthoughtful act done in haste has landed you up in troubles to this extent?

Now to your questions:

1. Can a FIR be registered?

No, they do not have any base or reason for complaint hence their complaint may not be entertained by the police at a state where there was not even an engagement that took place between you two.

2. What shall we do if FIR is registered. Not even marriage date/ engagement date were discussed ever?

No chances of accepting the complaint by the police hence need not worry about the FIR or anything to that effect.

3. Will there be an arrest in this case?

No chance at all.

I do not want even my father to spend a single minute in jail for no fault of his.

Do not worry nothing will happen.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register