LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nishant (Doctor)     24 January 2014

Can the judge do this ?

I had filed for divorce from my wife on the grounds of cruelty from my wife in aug 2011 while she was staying in her parents house . She took her revenge by reentering my house and tormenting my family for the next two years using the police and various woman friendly laws . The last feather in her cap  was criminal cases under sec 307/308 besides the usual 498a and 13 other sections inspite of the fact that every corner of my house was covered by CCTV cameras to avoid a mishap like this one .

But thankfully having done the above  she left my house , refused to face the cross examination and "ACCEPTED " DIVORCE and wanted the court to give her a huge alimony.... However she did not give any evidence of her need for alimony ( my income ; property etc) even on being given 3 chances by the judge .   The judge closed the evidence and took it up for judgement . However he did not deliver the judgement and sat on the file for 3 months .  In the meantime a family court was created in my district and the case transferred from this civil judge senior division to the family court judge .

(1)   This new family court judge after the usual formalities at reconciliation now wants to reopen the evidence about alimony  .  Not only has there been an oral arguement about alimony 4 months back but both sides have submitted written arguments also in which she did not provide any evidence about my income and property . can a new judge take a case back to evidence stage again when it was in judgement  stage of  his predecessor judge ?

(2) is there anything like "Accepted divorce"?  My wife refused to face the cross*xamination and fled from the court  and then meted out severe social humiliation to my family and mental harassment  and if it was up to her we would be behind bars . Can she simply get away by accepting divorce under section 13 a . From the way the judge is proceeding it looks like she can while I would want the past to reflect in the judgement and get the divorce on the grounds of cruelty which she rightly deserves . 

Kindly opine and help .

Learning

3 Replies

Shantanu Wavhal (Worker)     24 January 2014

file writ in HC and prey for appropriate directions to the FC.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 January 2014

If the case has been transferred to FC, the FC Judge may in his discretion call for fresh evidence, if not, he may proceed with the case as is where is basis. Accepted divorce is as good as the respondent submitting to the decree as prayed for by the petitioner, so in the judgment there will be a mention about the grounds prayed for by the petitioner.

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     25 January 2014

The Judge of the Family Court can take hearing and evidence afresh before giving his judgement.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register