LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sankar Venkatapathy (Proprietor)     06 November 2013

Fire accident in a shop

One of my client was running a shop dealing with computer spares and accessories, which the shop was insured by Cholamandalam Insurance Company (Fire accident policy). The shop met a fire accident due to electric short circuit and sum of Rs.50 lakhs and more goods were damaged in the incident. After this incident the insurance company has arrived the damaged claim 7 lakhs only. 

I want to file the petition to claim for the damages value around 52 lakhs and i like know where the petition has to be filed, whether Civil Court or Consumer Forum. Kindly suggest me.

Learning

2 Replies

BAALASUBRAMANNYAMM (Advocate)     06 November 2013

First you satisfy the Fire Estimating Officer of  Cholamandalam Insurance Company, it means that you to submit the documentary proof showing  that you have goods worth of 52 Lakhs as claimed by you at the time of fire accident. Even after submitting the above said documentary evidence to the said officer, if he suggests for  Rs.7 Lakhs and then there should a reason to claim excess. First you reply the querry. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     06 November 2013

With proper proof of estimated loss and assessment thereof by the Insurance assessor, with a copy of Insurance policy you may claim compensation appropriately from Insurance company.  Before that see the value of the policy, i.e., you verify from the policy document as to what is the sum assured and whether you have paid premiums regularly and the policy was in force as on the date of fire accident.  

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register