LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

rajesh menon (self)     01 November 2013

Change of name

I had applied for change of name with an affidavit signed by a notary, but the authorities rejected my plea stating that the affidavit should be signed by a first class judicial magistrate. MY QUESTION IS "Is it necessary to get affidavit  only from a first class judicial magistrate? As I have heard that notary is also authorised for signing affidavits and it has legal validity in law. Kindly clear my doubt.

Learning

4 Replies

BAALASUBRAMANNYAMM (Advocate)     02 November 2013

In some cases, an " Affidavit" duly signed by the "Notary" is an acceptable document. In some cases, the competent authority of the concerned may require, an Affidavit, duly attested by a First Class Judicial Magistrate. It is depending upon the formalities of the concerned authorities. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     02 November 2013

For change of name you can approach the Government Press for gazette notification and the formalities to be followed up in that regard.  The notary's signature if not accepted by some concerned authority, you cannot question their action,  it would be a part of their requirement which would be mandatory.

Advocate Ravinder (Advocate/Attorney)     05 November 2013

For name change it is better to approach the District Collector office.  The office people will explain you the procedure to follow.  (1) Notarised affidavit (2) Your Self Affidavit (3) Other forms ((4) Paper Publications in two noted papers (5) Gazette Notification (6) Again paper publication after gazette notification.  Whether signature of Judicial first class magistrate is cumplusory pl enquire. To my knowledge it is not necessary according to this procedure. 

PASSPORT LAWYER (PROPRIETOR)     24 November 2013

Annexure E and 2 News Paper Cutting Would Solve Problem In case of Name change in Passport

I  D card of New Name is required

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register