Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     07 September 2009

Menace of Elephants to Villagers for nearly 9 years.

Dear Hon'ble Members of LCI, about 50 wild elephants in different groups are roaming freely covering nearly 20 different villages in Nagaland State. By nature wild animals are wild and these elephants have also killed several villagers. These elephants migrated from Assam famous Kaziranga Reserved Forest and they have made these areas in Nagaland as their natura habitat in and around a dam called Doyang Hydro electric Project since 20002. I would never advised killing these endangered or extinct spices in Nagaland, but at the same time wild animals and human beings can not live together and those areas is neither a wild life sanctuary or a National Park. And one can imagine how the innocent elephants roam about by destroying paddy fields, farms, orchards etc on its way. The villagers have petitioned the state Government of Nagaland several times and I have also taken up the matter with the National Human rights Commission, but no action has been taken till today, and as a result the villagers are crying for help. Please suggest what measure should be adopted, should we adopt animal rights in the name of endangered spices or human rights. Please suggest your valuble views if possible with any case citation. Thanking you all in advance.

Learning

2 Replies

Adv.Aiyer VLV (Proprietor)     09 September 2009

My suggestions are

1. If people are living bordering jungle/forest, then resettle them to a farther location.

2. If elepahants are visiting towns and cities farther from forests 

- go for Writ of Mandate(with details of authoritis in action) and Writ u/A32 for Art21. (hope you would have exhausted escalation under forest Act, being a member of law fraternity. 

3. Arrange for public protest with media coverage to sensitise insensible politicians 

regards

VLV

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     12 September 2009

Thank you VLV.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register