LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

priya pareek (EXECUTIVE LAW)     09 August 2013

Employer not paying the salary

One of my friends worked with an educational institute where she seved for 3 months. She received the salary for 2 months but the institute is not paying her the salary for the third month. After two months students started complaining her that she was not teaching well. College authorities asked her to not to come to the institute for some time and told her that they would conduct a meeting to decide upon the matter. She kept calling them but they never revertrd back so she resigned from the job. And now she wants her remaining salary.

She did not sign any agreement before joining the institute. She has no salary receipts but the proof of bank transfer.

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     09 August 2013

Teachers are not covered as workman.

-“She did not sign any agreement before joining the institute. “

Probably you mean that no service agreement etc has been signed.

However has the employer issued any appointment letter?

If yes is there any clause on notice period/pay?

-“she resigned from the job”

Has she resigned in writing?

Probably the employer was also waiting for the resignation. It is a possibility that the employer has adjusted the notice pay and has squared off the FNF dues.

-“ College authorities asked her to not to come to the institute for some time and told her that they would conduct a meeting to decide upon the matter. She kept calling them but they never revertrd back”

She should have concluded that this amounts to termination and could have demanded compensation.

-“ he has no salary receipts but the proof of bank transfer.’

Employee may demand hard copy of salary slip to be supplied by redg. post only.

Under various enactments it is mandatory to issue and supply the wage slip, before the wages are disbursed and both employer and employee should sign it and thus confirm the correctness of detail of disbursement of wages and deductions if any made by employer……………….

It is mandatory to record in the wage slip issued to employee by employer: the earnings of the employees and deductions at source made by employer

Min. Wages Act 1948: Sec 18 (3)………….

Min. Wages central Rules (1950): Rule 26 (2) (3)……….Rule 26(2) Form (xi)…………

Payment of Wages Act: Sec 13A

CLRA : 78 (Muster Roll/Wages Register/Deduction Register/Overtime Register) 1 (a) (i) , 1 (b)…………………..

Shops and Establishments Act: Record and Registers: Employer should maintain register of employees, salary register and record of salary paid every month……………..

Under the factories act, a Labor Inspector can ask and issue a legal notice to the factory manager / occupier for showing the signed pay slip for last six month.

There are various threads which you may find useful e.g;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=85677&offset=1#.UgSiSdKAqWN

Employee should never act in haste and should always consult elders, competent and experienced well wishers, lawyer/law firm before acting on his/her own……………….

The employee may look into her appointment letter/contract of employment and agitate on the basis of merits…………………………….If facts and merits are on her side she may submit her demand to employer, and proceed further based on the reply of employer.

Sathish Kumar (Technical Illustrator)     10 August 2013

Hi,

My name is Sathish Kumar. I have been working as contract(Vendor) employee for certain MNC company in Mumbai that MNC company deputed me to another MNC company which is located in Chennai. I have joined this company one year ago in the 2nd month of joining they send me onsite training to Bangalore company,  company sponsored for me food, travelling charge and living cost for one month, before going to onsite training to Bangalore from HR department side they did not inform me about( if you are relieving means you should pay back the training they did not say that and they did not got any sign from me regarding this) after my training i had served  for the company for 10 months  while my contract ending two months before company said that we have planned make u as a permanent employee , but i did not accept because i am not happy with their salary package i told i will produce notice period and relieve from company , so the company started to cornering me HR called me and said that your salary will be on hold till relieving and said we will deduct the training cost which spend inbanglore.(in company policy there is no holding the salary during notice period and refund of training cost) i went directly to HR and spoke with him why my salary is on hold and why should i want to return the training cost i have served the company for 10 months you did not got any sign from me that should refund your training cost after i said like that HR not able to reply me he said i will talk with the  manager and reply you, so i left as it is and started working during my notice period  and worked during weekends also and completed 2 months . On the last day i have completed all formalities. They told me you will get your relieving letter and last month pay slip in 3 weeks, But on the last day also the HR did not inform me about refund of training cost and did not sent any official mail regarding this to me. When received all my salary without informing me they deducted the training cost, when i called to company and asked to the HR but he said we informed directly to financial department asked debit the training cost from your salary , it can’t be avoided compulsory we will get the training cost that spent on u they said like that. I asked to the manager he also saying the same. They did not do this for the contract employee who left before. I don’t know what to do now so please give me some guidance

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register