LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sonia (Executive)     07 August 2013

Mentally harassment

A morther -in- law can file a case for mentel harasment (abusing & by saying for imposed dowery case) by her Daughter-In-Law in  a joint family ?

In any act like D.V.or somthing else .

Pls sugeest ASAP.

Learning

23 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     07 August 2013

As mother-in-law is also a woman she has every right for protection under the Protection of Women laws.

(Guest)

If DIL can file false cases of dowry and harassement,abusive on MIL  then offcourse MIL can also file the same on DIL.

fighting back (exec)     07 August 2013

@sonia....the way you are asking the question, it seems you are at the wrong end of the law, and it seems you have really harrassed her (going by the urgency you have requested in your post) and you will be in trouble

endless rounds in court

a big blemish on your image

you will be blacklisted as a ' vamp' in the society, where MIL is still a very respected woman

you will always face endless questions from every tom d**k and harry about what harrassment did you do to your MIL, and no one will believe in your 'cooked up' story because an old woman really cannot harrass her young DIL

you will face a big hurdle in your future maritial prospects iif you seek divorce in future.

your relations are finished the moments you sling mud on each other in court

and last and not the least - you are in trouble....................ALL the best

1 Like

(Guest)

@Fighting Back.....rightly said.

But, I still do not understand why a DIL would have problem with her MIL? Just because, she is a mother of her Husband. That's why? Why a DIL would never have any problems with her own mother? Just because she is borned from her own mother and not borned from her MIL?

It is just because of a wide, a very very wide space, provided in LAW for a DIL to do anything at any extend of misuse of it.

well, i want to know this for my mom ,who is facing this prob.last three years.

Any one can suggest .

@ need Justice ,I want to know it for my mother ,who is facing this probl. last 3 years ......

I need help with law ,Can we do somthing aginst  DIL .

(Guest)

@Soniaji....Bahenji. kisi ke bahekave me aa kar koi galat kadam mat lijiyega. God has gifted you a very beautiful thing which is called as "brain" at the time of born to use it. By the time you grown up from childhood, your parents would have tought you a "CULTURE" & "RESPECT TO ELDERS ESPECIALLY". By the time you went to school OR college OR at Job Place, the friends / collegues would have tought you a word "MATURITY" & "SELF RESPECT".

So Finally, by multiplying all the "BRAMHASTRA" mentioned above in capital letters into inverted comma, which you might have earned from others and from your self, put your self alone for a while and think and then Proceed Ahead. I am sure, you will definitely go in a right direction instead of going in filing cases in courts.

Please do not indulge your self in such things, because, a life in human being gets once. Do some social works and remove all the stupid thoughts from your mind. If you can't do anything about social work, then go and help your Mother In Law in her day to day activities. No social works are greater than that.

Hope, you may not go in wrong direction please. Different Different People, Different Different Ideas and Thoughts. Just think what you want to do. There are only two ways. Either go to wrong step or go to correct way. Choice is yours.

Well,i need to know it for my mother ,who is the MIL & facing this problem 

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     07 August 2013

2-yr-old says daughter-in-law frequently beat her up, turned her out of her home; bahu says opposite is true

A 72-Year-old woman has filed a case against her daughter-in-law under the Domestic Violence Act.

Complainant Kanta Sudhakar Sharma claimed her daughter-in-law Ruby had beaten her up frequently and extorted money from her on several occasions.

Counter-allegation
Ruby had another story to tell, saying it was she who was the aggrieved party.

"My husband Ajay is living with another woman and is hand-in-glove with his mother. Both have plotted to force me to leave home," said Ruby. "For this man I left my family and changed my religion. But when they asked for dowry and harassed me, I did not bow to their demands. Now that he has found someone else, he and his mother are trying every trick to force me to vacate my flat."

Kanta refuted the allegations. She said she had filed a police complaint at the Hinjewadi police station 
in October 2009, but found the police took no action. 

She then filed a case under the Domestic Violence Act 2005, under Sections 18, 19 and 23, seeking restoration of her legal right to live in the property which she jointly owns with her son.

"Ruby mortgaged my flat for Rs 10 lakh without consulting me. My son left home after he was subjected to continuous torture by my daughter-in-law," said Kanta. "He has sent her a notice for restitution of conjugal rights in May this year. Even after I was driven out of my home, my daughter-in-law continued to demand money to pay the electricity bill."

Kanta has also sought police protection and Rs 5,000 monthly maintenance from her son and daughter-in-law. 

Legal position
Her lawyer, Advocate Dinkar Bhavsar said his client would continue to fight for justice.

"We filed a case on August 2 this year. My client has filed a case against her daughter-in-law and son after she was shown the door. We are talking about a complainant who is 72, is a blood pressure patient and has 
been frequently beaten up," said Bhavsar. "The respondent even took objection, saying that the respondent in 
a domestic violence case can not be a woman, but according to the law the respondent can be any person related to the husband. In this case the respondents are the son and his wife."

Ruby said it was difficult for her to go through the tormenting situation.

"Whatever she says is a lie. I got married to Ajay in 2005, changed my religion and became Hindu for them," said Ruby. "Ajay is living with the other woman and whatever my mother-in-law is doing is just to vacate the flat. Ajay even stooped to the level of calling me just to force me to listen to him making love to the other woman."

Your view on this story

NEWS My NEWS ENTERTAINMENT SEX & RELATIONSHIPS FEATURES SPORTS THE GUIDE

adv.raghavan (Advocate,9444674980)     07 August 2013

soniaji, experts differ in opinion, please  take a call after consulting ur lawyer.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     09 August 2013

Madam Sonia only wanted to know whether a mother-in-law can file a case under family laws against her daughter-in-law. The answer is "yes, she can". As regards the merits of filing a case, it would depend on circumstances and only the concerned parties can decide.

As regards the case cited by Mr. Raghavan, only a court of law can decide.

Ranee....... (NA)     09 August 2013

Sonia repeatedly saying that she is asking it for her mother, yet all are trying to advice her not harrass her MIL...soo funny !

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     10 August 2013

In this Forum, those who participate in gender-based topics are mostly either MCP's or FCP's. They have acquired their respectice mindsets from their own past experiences. If a mother-in-law's rights are challenged (it doesn't matter if the mother-in-law is mother of someone else) all MCP's will rally behind the hypothetical or real mother-in-law. If things are the other way, it will be the turn of the FCP's to come to the side of the daughter-in-law

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     10 August 2013

1. Yes a MIL can jolly well file complaint under DV Act against her DIL.
2. I donot subscribe to vague replies of all repliers to this brief.
Reasoning:
A.
See the "Statement of Objects and Reasons" in PWDVA, 2005 and it cannot be stated to have excluded a female relative of the male partner or a respondent and thus, a mother-in-law  being  an  “aggrieved  person”  can  file  a  complaint  against  the daughter-in-law as a respondent.
B. Now see PDF file which is one of the early Judicial pronouncement favoring your mother with her legal question accordingly.

Attached File : 739136044 d hc says mil can file dv complaint against dil.pdf downloaded: 107 times
2 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register