Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

crystal (Manager)     23 June 2013

India's law on 2 jobs

Hi

Is there a law restricting people to work on 2 jobs in India for two different employers? (one day shift and another night shift). I usually end up working 16 to 18 hours in a day but get paid for just 8 hours, so checking if I should change my job and checking the possibilities based on your expert suggesstions. I know for sure in USA there is no restriction as long as one performs well at assigned responsibilities. 

-BK

Learning

6 Replies

Mukesh (Student)     23 June 2013

weel I didn't get you saying that works for 18 hours a day but are being paid for 8 hours only. As regards to the question there are no such restriction in india .

Thank you! I am supposed to work 8 hours in a day but the company makes me slog the hours. More over my job requires to co-ordinate with people in UK, Australia and Argentina that spans over different time zones, so I end up working more hours than regular 8 hours.

My questions was really about PF (provident fund) or any ther issues that may occurdue t two jobs. What if both companies say PF is compulsory and I end up putting money in my PF from different companies. Is this acceptable?

M.S.R.Murty ( Manager (Admn))     23 June 2013

Dear Mr.Crystal,

Direct employment in 2 Firms not possible.  Your appointment order terms reveals the fact.

Thank you Mr. Murthy! What if the oppoinment letter doesn't have the clause of not to work for any other organization? Do you still see any potential problems if that clause isn't there? The only difference I see is they don't put in PF from both the firms.  I see this more like a restriction from an employer as I do see people working for an organization and do own a business. Is my assumption correct that one should be fine as long as both the organizations dont come to know that one has 2 different jobs provided Indian labor department/Wages doesn't have problems with it?

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     25 June 2013

if you work part time in number of firms then all are liable to deduct PF.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     25 June 2013

you are sure that you can have two jobs. Try it and later enlighten the forum if this succeeds.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register