LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nano (Law student)     06 April 2013

Please help very urgent

I am working in a hotel management institute run by a trust ( wud b referred by me as 'A')as a warden and placement officer also was teaching subject to students. Now 'A' was leased out to another college ( referred by me as 'B') which deals with all disciplines including hotel management, since it was leased out so faculty working with'A' stayed and till February 2013 we got our salary from 'A' but from January 2013 we started working with 'B' without them giving as offer letter. Yesterday offer letters were given to all faculty accept me and today I was called by the director who told me to vacate the hostel as warden and terminate my employment on frivolous charges pl help I ve been told to vacate right now without even giving me some relif period plus is 'B' Lawful to terminate me since I don't even ve m offer latter from them plus termination has been verbally told to me. Pl help.

Learning

7 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     06 April 2013

Due to the management changes, new management will thnk about the staff. Once screening takes place, the appointed candidates are made familiar to the work units and work environment through the orientation programmes. placement takes place by putting right man on the right job.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 April 2013

“I was called by the director …………………..termination has been verbally told to me.”

It might be the tactical approach to give you the time to contemplate to resign on your own.

You have been notified, although verbally by the director.

The Director may be the authorized official and might be your appointing authority as well.

The institute should supply the confirmation in writing which should follow the verbal communication. The notice or notice pay in lieu of notice has to be tendered by the Institute, in line with terms of contact of employment issued to you.

“terminate my employment on frivolous charges’, “I am working in a hotel management institute run by a trust”

It could have been done to deny the notice pay citing some policy on misconduct laying the condition that if employment is terminated due to misconduct notice pay is not payable.

In case the charge of misconduct is leveled opportunity to explain and defend should be given.

You can choose between clearing the air, misunderstanding, striking a rapprochement with management and submitting the notice of resignation and in the interim firm up your next venture, or wait for order of termination and contest it.

“Now 'A' was leased out to another college…………till February 2013 we got our salary from 'A'”. Employee shall choose the employer (servant shall choose the master).

You have every right to decline to work with new management.

It shall be appropriate to approach a competent and experienced service lawyer with copy of your appointment letter, service rules, give inputs in person, firm up your strategy and proceed under expert advice.

The service rules of such institutes are usually kept on website/employee portal of the institute. The procedure for appeal and appellate authority detail might have been given.

Teacher is not covered as workman.

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.

Hi @kumardoab what I want to ask u is that will I come under the 'A' institutes policies (which says 3months time to vacate or 3 months salary) thought my termination has been told by B institute without even giving me the offer letter so. Don't know what their policy is plus under whic act wil I come since am a faculty cum warden.

I have given in writing that till the time I get my gratuity and by dues from A I will not vacate the warden house so can B which is now incharge of he campus thrw me out?? Would I ve some remedy to such a situation though I ve told dem it wud b iillegal 

another query if I resign on m own now den I wud submit it to A ??

also should I challenge my termination or contest for dues gratuity nd leave at d moment I ve mojo plus I want dis accommodation.

Pl help urgent I really need help

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 April 2013

Is it a State Govt or Central Govt. Institute or Private Inst. Affiliated with NCHMCT or it is a Private Inst. Affiliated with some university?

Do you have copy of the service rules/conduct rules/exit policy/severance policy and appeal rules, FNF settlement rules?

Did ‘A’ circulate to all employees that a new management shall take over stock, flock and barrel and did it issue any guidelines for employees?

Your lawyer would require all details. Approach your lawyer as ap, and proceed under expert advice of your lawyer.

“I have given in writing that till the time I get my gratuity and by dues from A I will not vacate the warden house”

Sometimes such head on approach may fetch results, however you are closest to the facts and you would know what can be the next step of the management. It could have been better to approach your lawyer before submitting anything in writing.

It is felt that termination should be avoided.

If you decide to resign, you may negotiate properly and tender notice of resignation under proper acknowledgment.

In case ‘A’ claims lay off it has to tender lay off compensation as described in Standing Orders of the Institute, appointment letter…..It could be notice period compensation.

“so faculty working with 'A' stayed and till February 2013 we got our salary from 'A'.

So far your salary is disbursed by ‘A’ and no offer letter/appointment letter is issued to you. Then ‘B’ has expressed its decision to terminate you, even if verbally.

If you are eligible to get Gratuity, being a statutory benefit you shall get it.

You may submit FormI ( Obtain latest version from DLC in local o/o Labor commissioner) under proper acknowledgment to ‘A’ and ‘B’ and let them state whatever their stand is.

If company has taken the Gratuity policy from LIC then the FormI by the employer is needed to be forwarded to LIC for disbursement of payment.

Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972

Section: 2A
Continuous service.

The Section 2 (a) (i) -----190 days = 1 year if company operates 5days/week.

Section 2 (a) (ii)-------240 days= 1 year in any other case (if company operates 6 days/week).

Section 2 (b) (i) (ii) Explanation (i) may also be looked into.

Section: 7
Determination of the amount of gratuity.

(2) As soon as gratuity becomes payable, the employer shall, whether an application referred to in sub-section (1) has been made or not, determine the amount of gratuity and give notice in writing to the person to whom the gratuity is payable and also to the controlling authority specifying the amount gratuity so determined.

(3A) If the amount of gratuity payable under sub-section (3) is not paid by the employer within……….. simple interest at such rate, not exceeding the rate notified by the Central Government from time to time for repayment of long-term deposits, as that Government may, by notification specify:

{It is felt the interest is @10%}

(4)

(a) If there is any dispute as to the amount of gratuity payable to an employee under this Act or as to the admissibility of any claim of, or in relation to, an employee for payment of gratuity, or as to the person entitled to receive the gratuity, the employer shall deposit with the controlling authority such amount as he admits to be payable by him as gratuity.

(c)] The controlling authority shall, after due inquiry and after giving the parties to the dispute a reasonable opportunity of being heard, determine the matter or matters in dispute and if, as a result of such inquiry any amount is found to be payable to the employee…………..

(5) For the purpose of conducting an inquiry…………..

(d) issuing commissions for the examination of witnesses.

Provided further that no appeal by an employer shall be admitted unless at the time of preferring the appeal, the appellant either produces a certificate of the controlling authority to the effect that the appellant has deposited with him an amount equal to the amount of gratuity required to be deposited under subsection (4), or deposits with the appellate authority such amount.]

Section: 8
Recovery of gratuity.

Section: 9
Penalties.

(2) An employer who contravenes, or makes default in complying with, any of the provisions of this Act or any rule or order made there under shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than three months but which may extend to one year, or with fine which shall not be less than ten thousand rupees but which may extend to twenty thousand rupees, or with both:

If you wish to avail the services of LCI lawyer the related Lawyer list is being displayed on the bottom of this web page.

Related 'Labour & Service Law' Lawyers

You can conduct lawyer search at:

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/lawyers_search/#.UWBEzNgsHso

Your near and dear ones, colleagues can also guide you to a competent and experienced service lawyer.

Attached File : 984035899 paymentofgratuityact(1).doc, 984035899 form i gratuity9.pdf downloaded: 84 times

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     07 April 2013

analysed in details by Mr Doab

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register