LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

prashant (counsultant)     07 August 2009

need guideline

I want guideline, I am guarantor in two computer loan account in bank of Baroda, one is of rs 50,000, and other is of 60,000, both are my relatives, one is paying regularly and one account is NPA since last two years,

Now I came to know that both sold their mortgage laptops, and the person who’s account NPA is migrating to UK, I already inform bank about his migration and sold bank mortgage computers but bank did not take any action, I want to know what are my rights as a guarantor or how could I force bank to verify computers and recover money or any other way to clear my liability as a guarantor, I am afraid as I am closing my overdraft facility and because of these accounts bank might not release my property papers.

Please guide me

Learning

5 Replies

RASIK DAGLI (Lawyer)     07 August 2009

If you have informed the bank in writing and if the Bank has not taken any action, you shuld serve a notice 9through an advocate) narrating all the facts and also stating that person is likely to go abroad. You should also state that, you are released as gaurantor as the bank has not taken any actions.

R.R. KRISHNAA (Legal Manager)     08 August 2009

I do not agree with Mr.Rasik Dagli.   Mr. Prasant, please note that the liability of the guarantor is co extensive with that of the principal debtor. The law is very clear in this position. The bank has the sole discretion to proceed against anybody or both (principal debtor and guarantor).  Usually the bank will proceed against both.  You cannot be released from the liability unless the dues to the bank are settled.

RASIK DAGLI (Lawyer)     15 August 2009

The law stated by Krishna is correct that liability of the Gaurantor is co-extensive with the principal debtor. However, it is important to note that He Gaurantor) has  informed the bank about person migrating to U.K. and sale of computer. In the changed circumstances, the bank should have taken actions to preserve the security. If the bank fails to take actions , the Gaurantor can certainly plead that he is obsolved from the liability. The case will be decided on facts when it goes to court.

Rasik Dagli

Advocate  

RASIK DAGLI (Lawyer)     15 August 2009

The law stated by Krishna is correct that liability of the Gaurantor is co-extensive with the principal debtor. However, it is important to note that He (Gaurantor) has  informed the bank about person migrating to U.K. and sale of computer. In the changed circumstances, the bank should have taken actions to preserve the security. If the bank fails to take actions , the Gaurantor can certainly plead that he is obsolved from the liability. The case will be decided on facts when it goes to court.

Rasik Dagli

Advocate  

aruntrivedi (lawyer)     24 September 2009

Learned Friend Rasik Dagli is quite right. File suit and obtain stay order is only remedy for time being against notice so no action shall be initiated by BOB.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register