LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sameer (NA)     25 February 2013

Abusement, torture and harassment by husband & mother-in-law

I have been married for last six months in my home town. It was an arranged marriage.  For the first three months, my husband and mother-in-law showed their sweet side. Gradually I began to realize what was going on. I happened to hear a telephonic conversation b/w my husband and the sister-in-law of his older brother. He was abusing her in the most rotten language and threatening her not to dare to take his niece away.  I was scared and confused because my husband presented himself to be very caring and kind before us. He has kept his 6 year old niece with him while her father was in the Middle-East and mother in West Bengal. He told me openly that he could not live without that child. I found it strange. He expected me to take full care of that child which I did as much as I could manage. Gradually I discovered that he was prone to unpredictable anger and violence. In the night, whenever we used to discuss on any matter and if I happened to have a different opinion, he used to get verbally abusive. He could not take no for any of his wishes or desires. At times, he also threatened that if he gets too much angry, he can get physically violent too. He keeps on boasting that he has lot of contacts with muscle-men and big shots.  Still, I always felt that somewhere he was a good soul. His mother turned out to be the most abusive and violent woman that I had seen in my life. Slowly, I was getting the whole picture. My husband openly told me that he has a record of bashing up people since his college days and has links with the local hooligans besides informing me about his suicidal tendencies. His and his mother demand of a high-end car was ultimately fulfilled by my parents besides giving them an expensive LED TV.  

Last October when I came to my parents place for few days, he threatened on the phone that if I didn’t return immediately he will commit suicide. I tried to calm him down. Next morning my mother-in-law told me on the phone that he has attempted suicide with sleeping pills. We rushed to his place. I saw him sleeping Somehow we recovered. We don’t know in reality what happened. It was scriptted or real. Almighty knows the truth. In the fifth month, when I got pregnant and came to my parents home for medical check-up, I extended my stay there as I was getting horribly sick at my in-laws place. When I informed my husband about the same his tone changed and asked me to surrender my cell-phone. Thereafter, he threatened my father on the phone to drop me at my in-law’s place by 10 next morning. When my father tried to contact him, he didn’t receive his calls. Next night on 30th January this year, he called my father 10:35 p.m. and in a violent tone told him that he was coming. When my father asked him not to come at such an odd hour and cold late evening, he put down the phone. He came around 11:40 p.m. with all my belongings packed in cartons and started hammering on the main door of our home. In very loud voice, he asked us to open the door. We all were very shocked. We were not sure what he would do in such a wild temperament. He came along with his two assistants and created a lot of terror at our residential premises at night.  They jumped over our locked gates. When my mother opened the door, one of his assistant started putting my belongings into our corridor and gave her the car keys. He parked the car that he was gifted by my parents. That night, they broke open the locked gates, put their own locks and after locking us ran away. When my parents called my mother-in-law next day requesting her to send the gates keys, she started abusing us. We were shocked to the core and so were our neighbours.  My parents feel that my husband masked his inherent nature during the marital negotiation and didn’t reveal his real self. His mother keeps on fueling his volatile temperament by constant provocation against me and my family.

Even after going through so much, my parents for my sake visited his clinic in the evening to discuss what was going on. My husband didn’t apologize for what he had done. Rather he behaved very arrogantly and insolently with my parents. He said that your daughter does not take very good care of my mother and also not do the domestic chores. He told them that his wife has to carry his every command. When my father asked him to be a little flexible and give each other sometime to adjust, he started losing his cool. He didn’t even respect the old age of my parents.  He took back the car keys from my parents and came to our home to take back the car. Without even meeting me once, he drove away the car. Later on when I called him on phone, he appeared normal. But during the last call that I made on his cell, he took a violent turn. I spoke in the politest tone possible while he kept on verbally abusing me. He warned me that if I am still not scared of him, he would come and shoot down all of us. His mother also joined him on the phone in the background and started to hurl abuses at me. I still kept on talking to him to calm him down. He asked me to return by the weekend or else he would hang himself and warned me not to call him.  I kept on thinking that when he is mistreating me from a distance how he will behave with me within the four walls of his house along with his mother. When we consulted our common friends, they told us that it is just a pressure tactic to scare us and he would never harm himself. He is fine. Recently he jammed the SIMs of two cell-phones of my parents. When we called up the telecommunication company, we were told that somebody called them up telling that the SIMs have been lost.

He has suddenly become a violent dictator. He is so shameless that he is trying to terrorize my parents even. My father is employed in a different town. He is very worried about our security. Its been two weeks and he has not called me once. Please suggest what should I do?                  

Learning

4 Replies

Ranee....... (NA)     25 February 2013

first ask yourself can you adjust with whole life.he seems to be a psycho.

Msk-need -nuetral- laws (self)     25 February 2013

Life cant go this way all the time. No legal query reqeust. Please decide and come up with specific questions

Sameer (NA)     26 February 2013

I want to know what is the legal/ juducial remedy that I should seek ? What is the security measure I should seek for myself, my unborn baby and my parents?

(Guest)

live on ur own and dont trouble others.

if u need peace, look inwards .

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register